Company ComplaintsConsumer Advice

Internet Service Worse Since Verizon Purchased Alltel

This inquiry is concerning Verizon's recent purchase of Alltel Telephone Co. I live in a rural area of central Virginia and until recently was using the service of Alltel Telephone Co. with an air card for my computer. There is an Alltel tower "within spitting distance" of my house and I had great reception.

After Verizon purchased Alltel the tower was turned off with no warning to any of the paying customers using this tower. Everyone around here gets the run around from Varizon when we call and no one gets the same answer. Many of us have home-based businesses and depend on the internet. The service we now have through Verizon is worse than dial-up because we are serviced by a tower about 25 miles away.

Does anyone know who we can contact to try and get some help about this? We are in a very rural area that is sparsely populated and apparently are of little concern to a large corporation such as Verizon. I was told that they don't enough people live out here to make the tower worthwhile.

Please help!

By Sandy from Dinwiddie, VA

Anonymous

I am not positive but I think the place to contact is the Federal Communications Commission. If it's not them, they will be able to direct who to contact:

http://www.fcc.gov/

Please, do report them. I'm with Alltel wireless (cell phone) which was bought by Verizon. We are allowed to "grandfather" in our accounts and I stayed Alltel because it is cheaper. However, I was told by one of the sales reps that when Verizon needs to drop calls, they drop the Alltel phones and accounts first.

I have a very close relative who worked, had worked for Alltel for years and hated it when Verizon took over. Verizon has lost very, very good Alltel sales reps because of the way they do business.

I would call better business bureu and file a complaint .