Recycling Birthday and Greeting Cards

Any suggestions for recycling old birthday and greeting cards?

monnat96 from Pingree Grove, IL

When my kids were little I would let them cut them up and make pictures with them. The cutting is great for their manual dexterity and fine motor skills, and the pretty pictures are an incentive for them to want to create something.

I also use them as nametags for packages and placecards for the table.

If you have special ones from special occasions (say, graduation) you can make a collage that will lessen the space they take up and make a nice keepsake.

You can make labels for your plants.

Take a hole punch and make a picture for the little ones to "sew" up with yarn or a shoe lace.

Heck, rather than throw them away, just use them for scratch paper.

Hope these suggestions work for you or help you to think of some others that would be better for you.

Our local nursing home collects them and then they recycle them into new cards which they sell.

If you scrap book or know someone that does, you can cut out some of the nice pictures and place them on your scrap book pages, but don't let them touch or overlap your photos unless you spray them to neutralize the acid.

You could see if your local school or perhaps Sunday school would want them. Sometimes they use them for various crafts with the children.

Hi!, Greeting cards come with some lovely pictures and I also can't bring myself to throw them away. So what I did was take out my paper cutter and cut them into long strips and use as bookmarks. I started doing this when my Mom received a lovely card from her sister and just could not bring herself to throw it away. I cut it into a bookmark and punched a hole at the top. I took some yarn and added a piece to the top of it and she now has a lovely reminder of her sister when ever she goes to open her Bible. Just slip the yarn thru the hole and tie it off. Hope this helps.
Cheers from SoCal., Nancy

I use edging scissors to trim the sides of the picture and then glue the picture to the top of a gift package. I try to coordinate the paper color with the colors in the card. Then I use a colored pen to write the 'to and from' on the face of the card -- metallics are great. No bow is needed and it makes a beautiful package. It's great if you are shipping gifts -- no bows or ribbons to worry about destroying!

I always recycle my Christmas cards by cutting the pictures out with decorative edge scissors and then use them for name tags on next years's gifts. Just write to& from on back, punch hole and tie onto packages. can also use for birthdays etc. No more buying tags!

1.) To reuse cards I cut a nice circle shaped picture from the card, punch holes around the entire circle, then crochet a snowflake pattern around the edges, tie a ribbon at top and hang them.
2nd idea) cut into wide strips, fold the strip, (white of card to the inside), use a rubber stamp to stamp:
TO:
FROM: then use on boxed packages or punch a
hole in the top corner, tie a ribbon on it, and use for a bag gift tag.

I cut Christmas cards which have no writing on the back of the picture and make them into postcards. I add the address of elderly shut-ins, and children in my church add personal notes. If you want to reuse cards by making them postcards, check with the Postal Service to get the legal range of dimensions. They can't have flocking or glitter.

You could bring used greeting cards to a local day care centre where they will be used for crafting.

You could use them to decoupage a box and make a cute trinket box.