Maintenance and RepairHome Improvement

Repairing Cat Scratches on Door Molding

I have cat claw damage to various items in my apartment, but the ones I really want to focus on are the claw marks on the moldings around the doors into my bathroom and bedroom. They are pretty deep gauges and about three feet from the floor.

The molding is dark brown "wood", like a press board or composite so you can see the light composite material against the dark brown surface where the claw marks are. It looks bad. Should I be thinking sanding and filling with wood putty or what? Are there alternatives?

By cateyes from Lake County, OH

Use crayons in the color of your molding. Or melt crayons in microwave to get a mottled "wood" effect. Apply to fill scratches. Take off surplus with furniture polish or olive oil. Cheaper than wood filler, no sanding required and you can recycle old crayons. Works on furniture scratches too.

Anonymous

I have the remedy to cure the habit. I leaned a white curtain rod(get the ones that shape an 'L' at each end so it stands on the floor and against the trim so it will fall if touched) against the frames so they would crash if the cat went to damage scratch again.

Scared the crap out of it and stopped the problem!...demon fixed!!!