Using Stainless Steel Cookware

Category Kitchen Tools
There are some cooking tips you can try, to make using your stainless steel cookware easier. This is a guide about using stainless steel cookware.

I have just bought some stainless cookware and anything I cook in the fry pans stick to the bottom and is very hard to clean. Is there sometning needed to prepare the cookware before cooking the first time? Also, how do I remove the burnt stains from the bottom of the pan.

Thanks,
Mike Garwood from Arkansas

Answers

Are you used to using non-stick? If so, you're never going to get the stainless to equal it. But stainless is healthier to cook with, so you take the good with the bad. Make sure you're using oil, and enough of it. And get the pan and oil nice and hot before you put any food in it. Once the food is in, let it stay in one place for a while. Most people move their food around too much. You shouldn't flip food more than once (burgers, fish, pancakes, etc), cook halfway through on one side and than flip. The first side usually takes 2x as long as the second.

Beyond that, I have no advice, unless you have questions about cooking a specific food.

If you are using electric (pertains more) the heat will be retained for a long time, so check the food and when you have just a few minutes left, SHUT OFF THE HEAT! Aluminum core stainless steel (they are made in layers) are quite efficient in disbursing energy. If you are leery of using oils, olive oil (classic) is the best for you!

Sorry, Barkeeper's friend or Shaklee's at-ease will break down caked on/nasty messes! Barkeeper's friend is next to Comet/Bon Ami. Shaklee is through their website, www.shaklee.com

I always use olive oil in ANYTHING I am cooking in my stainless steel cookware. And I have always used Cameo cleanser(white container), which is near Comet at my grocery store. My mother swears by the stuff, and I use it now too. It is GREAT!!!

The trick to keep food from sticking is to heat the pan first, then put in the oil.
Try oven cleaner and/or steel wool to clean the burnt stains.

That is precisely why I don't use stainless cookware any longer.....I'll take my chances with the nonstick....I love my T-Fal!

The professional chefs seem to use a lot of stainless and I notice that they first heat the pan.

I don't know if a magic eraser would work to get off the burnt on food. I used it on a pyrex loaf pan and it worked like magic so I suppose you could try it.

I use SOS pads on the stains and they work great. Be sure to spray the pans well with Pam or non-stick spray and use a small amount oil so food doesn't stick.

If you've removed all the burnt food, and only a dark stain remains, alum (from the spice section at the grocery store) will take it off. (Ask me how I know!)

You have a lot of good suggestions here. I just thought of a couple more;

1. For stuck on food, try adding a couple cups of hot water with a drop of dishsoap, cover and boil for about 5 minutes. Really loosens things up!!!

2. If you use steel wool/SOS pads, do so lightly, taking off a small layer at a time, so that you do not scratch the surface, which will make even more things stick. I do this often, esp. on the bottoms.

I have stainless steel cookware and I find you have to cook stuff on half the heat you normally would or it gets too hot and everything sticks. Also, I think you have to have something in the pan before turning the burner on. I usually use non-stick spray if needed.

I have stainless steel it does heat faster so I had to learn to half the heat and stay close. I love my
stainless steel now but the other night I made a mess. I heated up canned beans and wienes and
left it on and forgot it...OOPS the dogs were barking so I went to find pan smoking and beans burnt.
I put the pan outside for the night. In morning
I soaked it in sink with dawn dishsoap, vingear and water thenlet set for the day. The mess came up once I dumped the water out and the burnt beans came up and tossed out my pan, its just like new.

I use Barkeeper's Friend on my stainless steel pans (and lots of other things.) This is a very old product that is like a mildly abrasive scouring cleanser- works great!

What is the method for making an ordinary pan, non-stick using vinegar?

By lubbie from Rochester, NY

A few years ago I purchased a Kitchen Aid refrigerator and received a small rebate plus a frying pan. This question is about the pan (just letting you know why I have it). The pan feels solid, hefty, made of stainless steel. Every time I use it, food sticks.

I even go so far as to make sure the pan is very hot, flood the pan with oil before making French toast, and still it sticks. Maybe that's why they were giving them away for free. So the question is - how can you tell if a pan will do this and is there a cure? It looks and feels like it's in the higher priced cookware category.

Holly from Richardson, TX