AdviceRecipes

Uses for Dried Chili Peppers

I have a whole bunch of (hot) red chili peppers from last year's garden that I've dried and put in a glass jar. I'm trying to figure out what to do with them. I've already used them for chili, just looking for other ideas. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Mary Moo from Wilmington, IL

My husband uses them on pizza, chili, soup, adds to salsa, cornbread.....

Get a coffee grinder and grind them up, then you can use it as you would in any dish. As said prior, put it in soup, guacamole, chili, roast, any where you would use pepper. I keep a grinder that I use only for spices and herbs. Sprinkle some in the bushes to keep stray cats away also.

Tacos al pastor is an inexpensive dish they can be used in.

Here's an unusual use, but delicious: saute the peppers in olive oil until they are just beginning to turn color but not fully black; add chopped walnuts and chopped garlic, fry slowly until garlic is soft and tan, do not allow to char. Pour the mixture on cooked spaghetti (whatever kind you like), sprinkle with chopped Italian parsley or fresh basil, or both, mix well, then dish into bowls, and serve. Allow diners to add parmesan cheese to their liking. I can't give amounts here because I do not know how hot your peppers are, or how fond you are of garlic. I like it very hot and very garlicky.

Thanks folks, for your tips!
Noodlestein... these peppers have a lot of heat so I will use them sparingly. Your recipe sounds wonderful, I believe I will give it a try - garlic and pasta are two of my favorite foods!

Grind the dried peppers in a coffee grinder and put into a shaker bottle to use in a recipe or put on the table at meal time. Delicious! To keep the pepper 'shakeable', I put a small piece of clean cheese cloth with a little rice in it in the jar to absorb moisture & keep the pepper flakes from clumping.
Be sure to wipe out the coffee grinder well after grinding the peppers. Coffee grinders can be found at thrift stores.

I too grow peppers every year and freeze them. They are great when cooking beans or any kind during the year, chop up in cornbread and bake, cut in clices and can in a vinegar/sugar/spice mixture and use all year long as a topper on greens, beans or whatever you like hot spicey stuff on. I even throw them in the crockpot when cooking a roast, chicken or whatever.