KitchenCleaning

Removing Cooking Oil From Wall

Sometimes when I cook oil splashes on the wall and I've been trying to paint over the oil spots. However, when I paint over the spots after a few hours you can see the oil spots again. Please tell me what I am doing wrong. I thought about putting up wallpaper in that area but I have 3 electrical sockets in the way. It is a small area only 5 inches wide and about 48 inches long.

Onesummer

By RENEE (Guest Post)

You have to put a varnish or a varathan over the oil marks first, let dry then put your paint on. This way you are sealing the oil. It works the same for wood knots burning through paint jobs.

What you need is a product known as Kilz. You can find it in the paint department. It's a stain blocker and it does a great job. Before we sold our last house, I wanted to repaint my kitchen cabinets. They were dark walnut, so I had to first prime them with Kilz which blocked out the dark brown wood, then I painted on the final coat.

Kilz would do a great job in covering up the oil spots on your kitchen wall.

Marge from NY

I forgot to mention that you can buy Kilz at Walmart.

By Granny Marcia (Guest Post)

I agree with the others....

1. Seal with clear shellac if you can find it...it has no color pigment.

2. Kilz it! If you have some bad places, maybe even a second coat just to be sure.

3. Paint with a high gloss oil base paint to make it washable. Since the location will take abuse, I'd put two coats of high gloss on it as well.

After all of this, you shouldn't ever have to paint again.

Rule of thumb with paint....
Do NOT paint latex over oil base. It will peel.
If you use an oil base primer you can use whatever you like over it ...oil or latex. It is the ONLY time you can use latex over oil.

FYI....I managed a paint store for a long time and some things you just never forget. Use quality everything when painting and you will never be sorry.

Granny

By Amy (Guest Post)

Before painting clean the wall with TSP cleaner which is something you can find in a paint store or ask the paint department at lowes or home depot.