Fatsia Japonica with Burn Marks on the Leaves

Question:

I've no idea what gardening zone I'm in but we have mild winters and mild summers - not much difference between the two it seems! My problem is a fatsia japonica which has developed what looks like cigarette burns on the leaves. Anyone have an idea what would cause this? No other plant is affected.

Scraig1 from Ireland

Answer:

This sounds an awful lot like leaf spot-a fungal disease caused by several different fungi. It spreads readily by means of spores from splashing water (rain), wind or insects-especially in humid conditions when the plant's leaves never have a chance to fully dry.

The best way to keep it from spreading is to remove any infected leaves when the plant is dry. Also make sure to clean up any fallen leaf debris under the plant and avoid watering from overhead to keep leaves dry. Leaf spot can also be spread by dirty tools, so keep your garden tools clean to avoid spreading the spores. Treat existing leaf spot with a commercial fungicide containing fixed copper. Follow label directions carefully.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services.

Do you mist your plants? If you are spraying the leaves (with water) then letting it sit in the sun, the water droplets work like little magnifying glasses and will burn the leaves.

Many thanks for the message. Unfortunately its not a water & sun problem, I'm pretty careful about that. I think it may be a fungus so against all my instincts I'm going to spray... :(