Bake Christmas Cookies in Stages

I just finished baking Christmas cookies and I realized how easy it was because I do it in stages.

Saturday evening, I made the dough for 3 batches. Then I refrigerated it until today. (you have to refrigerate the dough anyway for my recipe of sour cream sugar cookies. It took about 2 hours to make 3 separate batches, including clean up time.

Today, I cut them out and baked them. About another 2 hours, again, including clean up time.

Tomorrow I will ice and decorate them. This way, I don't get tired out or bored and the job is done with very little or no stress.

If I did this all in one day, I'd be in the kitchen all day and well into the evening probably. So, avoid the stress and do your baking in stages. Works for me.

Source: My mother from years ago.

By Chef4u from Sylvania, OH

I always do this. I just can't do it all in one day. It is so nice to know I can make cookies from chilled dough and not have all that mess to clean up.

Great idea! So simple, yet I never thought of it! Your sour cream sugar cookies sound good. Would you mind posting the recipe?

I agree with Cricketnc, could we have the recipe? Those cookies do sound good.

I do a lot of baking for other people and this is the way I always do it. I will make up to 6 different kinds of cookie dough one day and get most of the mess out of the way. The next day I spend baking them, and the third day if I have made cut outs decorating them. This saves making a mess each day since the second day you basically have your cookie sheets and the container the dough is in and your scoop so a lot less clean up.

Professional bakers do this, because they know the cookies turn out better (for most varieties) if you chill the dough rather than baking them immediately.