Vent Pies With Drinking Straws

Cut drinking straws into short lengths and insert through slits in pie crust to prevent juice from running over in the oven and permit steam to escape.

By Gary from NJ

Gosh, with all the talk about plastics, I would be fearful that a straw would melt, or emit chemicals that might not be good for my family. Tubular pasta might work, and would be safer.

I prefer making good slits, and sitting my pie plate on a cookie sheet--or putting a cookie sheet on the rack below. (You can line it with foil to make clean up easier.) If the pie is not perfect to look at, no one seems to notice--they all manage to eat their share!

I also thought that putting anything plastic in an oven was a no-no. I would be afraid of it melting and releasing chemicals, not to mention making the pie taste like plastic.

You use paper straws. I got 200 for $4.99 from Amazon, for drinks and for pies.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingApril 25, 2008
🍀
💘