Storing Necklaces Inside a Straw

Category Miscellaneous
One creative use for a drinking straw is for help in organizing necklaces. Keep the chains on your pendant necklaces from getting tangled by storing them inside a drinking straw.

When going on a trip, this is a good way to keep your necklaces from getting all tangled and knotted. Put the chains down a straw. In the top of the straw, make a small slit to hook the top of necklace to keep it in place. No more tangle and no knots.

By Dwedenoja from New Creek, WV

Top Comment

I love the straw idea! To add my idea, I hang mine on a hangar and put a button up shirt over them to "disguise" my necklaces. I had some roommates that used to help themselves. I haven't lost one since and I don't deal with the tangle issue. I'm going to use the straw idea next time I travel!

This is a great way to organize your pendant necklaces so the chains don't get twisted and you can see which necklace is which.

Just snip a straw so it's a little bit longer than your necklace when it's folded in half. Snip two small sections at one end of the straw, one on each side. Drop your necklace in, but let the clasp hang out of one cutting and the pendant out the other. Ready for organization or travel. Enjoy!

How to store your necklaces safely - put each one inside a plastic straw.

Source: An article in a local Happenings magazine about Anne McAlpin, the "Martha Stewart of Travel." She has written a book, "Pack It Up: The Essential Guide to Organized Travel", has been on Oprah, and she also gives talks on how to pack. I'm going to ask my public library to order the book.

By jantoo from Kenosha Co, WI

Answers:

Store Necklaces Inside A Straw

The straw idea is genius! I'm going to my jewelry box right now! Thanks! (01/21/2008)

By klhwh

Store Necklaces Inside A Straw

that's a great tip ! thanks ! My mom (especially) would have loved it!
(01/21/2008)

By melody_yesterday

When traveling with necklaces to be packed in luggage, use a drinking straw to avoid tangles and kinks. Simply thread the necklace through the straw and clasp it shut. This is an inexpensive way to store your necklaces so they remain tangle free.

By Rebecca from Columbus, Georgia

Answers:

Keep Necklaces From From Getting Tangled

What a fantastic idea! I used to travel with a whole jewelry pouch of jewelry and would match my jewelry to my outfits each day. Now I go with one ensemble and leave it at that :-)

Besides putting the necklace or chain through the straw, you could thread rings and watch onto the straw before clasping the necklace. (01/11/2007)

By Debbie52

PS: it's best to pack your jewelry in your carry-on and not in luggage that gets checked. When traveling by car, remember to always bring your jewels into your hotel room and not leave in your car. (01/11/2007)

By Debbie52

To keep your necklaces from tangling, thread the chain through a drinking straw. For traveling, Place the chain and straw in a toothbrush holder.

By Cheryl