Cooking TipsFood Tips

No More Burned Soups and Vegetables

I usually use my slow cooker to make big pots of stew, soups, sauces and vegetables because I can leave it and not worry about the bottom sticking. However, there are times when I'm cooking up a large amount that requires a larger pot for guests or so I have leftovers to freeze. Countless times, I have not been as watchful as I should have been, or I simply misjudged the effect of the heat on my stove.

After once again scorching the bottom of a batch of soup, I decided to do something a bit different and it made a BIG difference. I used the same stockpot in which I had previously ruined the soup, but decided to put the larger steamer/pasta basket drainer in to keep the food from directly touching the bottom of the pot. I first browned the meat and then put it and the remaining ingredients in, turned it on low and solved the problem! It really works. Hope some of you can use this tip.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

Hi, Very smart. Now why didn't I think of that. Loretta

Be very careful if your steamer basket is aluminum-I read that metals can leech into our bodies through cooking. I got rid of all my aluminum cookware.

Really good idea. I have a mesh fryer basket that just fits the bottom of my one pot that I use for this exact thing, as you say, it does work!

This is a winner idea--one of those "ah" moments. Without even trying it, I can see it happening. The meat and veggies stay in the pasta cooker, the broth is beneath them, and surrounding the meat and veggies, and the meat/veggie soup can be ladled out, then the contents of the pasta cooker poured out, and the rest of the broth added from the stockpot. Thank You for Sharing.