Don't discard those unwanted frames! Recycle and make a special little girl this sweet gift.
Approximate Time: 1 hour plus drying time
- wood frame (with photo opening at least 5x7 inches works best)
- foam (your choice of colors)
- grosgrain ribbon
- 2 sawtooth hangers (if needed)
- 2 cup hooks
- 2 "D" rings
- puff paint
- heavy cardboard
- Use frame opening to trace size onto heavy cardboard. Discard glass.
- Use cardboard and trace onto background foam piece.
- Paint frame as desired. If using a metal frame, paint for metal works best. Varnish when dry.
- Cut out grass, sun, leaves, and flowers.
- Use coin to trace around faces of photos and cut out.
Glue to center of flowers.
- Glue cardboard inside frame opening and then glue background foam piece on top of cardboard.
- Assemble scenery pieces. When pleased with layout, glue down all pieces.
- Make stems with puff paint.
- Screw cup hooks at bottom.
If it is a metal frame, use stick on hooks, but also add glue for stronger adhering.
- Take each end of ribbon and fold over D ring. Stitch closed.
- Cut two separate small pieces of cardboard, each the width of ribbon.
Place at opposite end of ribbon and fold over twice, gluing as you go.
Glue these ends on the back of frame, directly behind each cup hook.
You can staple them in for added strength, if desired.
- Hang barrettes on one ribbon and slide hair ties on the other.
- Leave barrette one hanging and hook the hair tie one on to cup hook with D ring.
No more looking for hair accessories all over the house!
Just an idea: After I made this one, I came up with the idea of decoupage.
Maybe a photo in center of the special girl and decoupage to cover entire frame with other photos of her.
Hmm...may have to try that one!
By maryeruth from Palm Coast, FL