MiscellaneousHome

Frugal Anti-Fugal Humidifier Solution

I am looking for a frugal anti-fungal humidifier solution.

Char

By londa (Guest Post)

The directions for mine call for pouring out all the water daily, and letting all the wet parts get dry. I usually do it at night, and spread them out on an old towel. Easy & cheap.

Londa

I use a small bit of any brand clorox in the water for anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.

You can add bleach drops to each fill. DO NOT SPILL ON FLOOR or allow dripping. My carpet is proof accidents happen. Right where the humidifier sat is a bleached spot--

Also, I use white vinegar in the ones near the bedrooms. Vinegar has a similar disinfecting %, almost as much as bleach.

Rinse out the filters in luke warm water--set them in the sink to soak. This helps the filters last longer. I pour a little bleach in the sink of water. This helps disinfect too.

I use a cap-full of bleach per 2 gallons of water in each refilling. It doesn't add any odor to the output, and really deters the growth of bacteria and mold. Change the filter if it gets bad, then start using the bleach solution

I agree.. you could use bleach... if you're worried about smell or if you need a non-chemical alternative, try Tea Tree oil. Use 6 - 9 drops per gallon.

good luck!