FliesPest Control

Peppermint to Deter Flies

Be fly free at your next BBQ! All you need is some mint. If you have mint growing in your yard you can sprinkle some on the tables where people will be eating. If you don't have mint growing in your yard you can purchase peppermint extract in the baking aisle of the grocery store. A little dab on each plate will keep the pesky flies away also.

Source: Better Homes and Gardens

By Kristina Gonzales from Texas

Thanks so much for this tip. I have mint growing in a tub and will certainly be testing the tip out.

I grew peppermint in the garden, some bunched in patch as big as 3 feet in diameter. For some reason the peppermint flower attracts flies like crazy. They're all over the place!

Anonymous

Yes I think that the flies are attract to peppermint...because I have inside my apartment 3 plants of mint and 1 oil infuse of peppermint and today I have awaken to an invasion of flies ...I just can't believe it

Thanks for that hint. I live at the beach, & the greenhead flies come every August.

They are like horseflies & bite. I will try the peppermint. Thanks again.

I shall try this next time we eat outside, thanks. I wonder if it keeps wasps away too? We find them even more bothersome than flies.