Use Straws as Coffee Stir Sticks

I buy unopened bags of straws to use as coffee and hot cocoa stir sticks. I pick them up at yard sales, party outlet stores or thrift stores cheap! I cut them in half, or thirds, if I get the extra long ones. They are cheaper than the regular stir sticks, thicker around for people with arthritis for easier holding, and totally easier to wash for reuse. I have saved tons of money on doing this as I have several coffee and cocoa drinkers in the house.

Note: If you have matching coffee cups, no one loses his or her cup if you use different colored straws or different length ones. And, I have yet to melt one in a hot liquid. They hold up nicely.

By Brenda from Tupelo, MS

This is a good idea if you prefer a stir stick over a spoon which is what I use to stir my coffee, tea and hot cholcate....works for me!

I also find unopened packages of drinking straws at garage sales for dirt cheap. We have some tupperware glasses with lids that have a no drip opening for a straw. We like to use those with our children to avoid spills and they are great to take on car trips and such. Anyway, straws are fairly inexpensive at the dollar stores and such but when I can find a large package for a quarter at a garage sale, that's even better! :-)

This is a good idea if you prefer a stir stick over a spoon which is what I use to stir my coffee, tea and hot chocolate. It works for me!