DecoupageCrafts

Decoupaging Pictures on Wooden Table

I would like to decoupage pictures of my great-grandkids to the top of my coffee table. My question: how do I prep the table before I begin? It has years of spray polish built up and I'm sure that needs to go. Anything else?

My coffee table is very old and has seen a lot of use. It was free to me about 10 years ago so I'm not worried about damaging it.

Barbara from IL

I would recommend you remove the existing varnish and stain, sand lightly. Put a new coat of stain on (even clear stain) just to protect the wood. Then you'll be good to go with the decoupage.

Have fun!

By (Guest Post)

Thank you for your feedback, but if I did all that, I wouldn't want to cover it up with pictures.
Could I just clean it really good to get the spray polish off? Maybe sand a little and go from there?

Why not just have a piece of glass cut to fit the top of your table and then you can rearrange or change the photos whenever you would like. I have done this often with decorative papers.

I change the papers on an old wooden table I have in the bathroom with each new season and it is so easy and inexpensive. Or you might even just decoupage the photos onto the glass itself. Good luck!