Decoupaging a Glass Bottle

Category Decoupage
Despite the minor difficulties you may encounter when decoupaging on glass, decorating a glass bottle with this method is very doable. This is a page about decoupaging a glass bottle.

Last year, I received a bottle of bath salts for my birthday. After I had luxuriated in the last of the bath salts, I decided to recycle the bottle. I wanted to fill it up with bath salts again, and by using decoupage techniques, turn it into a special gift for a colleague's birthday.

Approximate Time: 3 hours

Instructions:

1. Wash the bottle in warm soapy water and then leave it upside down overnight to dry thoroughly.
  2. Cut strips from the handmade green paper.
  3. Ad

4. With the 10/32 inch brush, paint a substantial amount of Deco Art glue to the back of the first strip of green paper. Turn the strip of paper around and put it in position on the bottle, but do not press it down.
  5. With the brush, spread glue to the front of the strip of paper, lightly applying pressure so that it will stick to the bottle.
  6. Working from the middle of the strip of paper, and from inside towards the outside, rub out all the air bubbles and excess glue from the back of the strip of paper. Use an old cloth to clear any excess glue from the bottle.
  7. Repeat steps 3-5 with the other strips of paper, until the bottle has been covered with the green paper.
  8. Use the hairdryer to dry the strips of paper thoroughly, be careful not to use the highest heat setting on the hairdryer, as the bottle might become too hot to handle.
  9. Ad

10. Cut out the flowers and decide how they will be arranged around the bottle.
  11. With the 10/32 inch brush, paint a substantial amount of Deco Art Glue to the back of the first flower. Turn the flower around and put it in position on the bottle, but do not press it down.

12. With the brush, spread glue to the front of the flower, lightly applying pressure so that it will stick to the bottle.
  13. Working from the middle of the picture, and from inside towards the outside, rub out all the air bubbles and excess glue from the back of the flower.
  14. Use an old cloth to clear any excess glue from the bottle.
  15. Ad

16. Repeat steps 9-11 with the other flowers.
  17. Use the hairdryer to dry the flowers thoroughly, again not using the highest heat setting on the hairdryer.
  18. Ad

19. With the 10/32 inch brush, paint a thin layer of Modge Podge over the bottle. Remember to paint only over the green paper cover and over the flowers. The Modge Podge will protect the pictures and give the product a smoother finish.
  20. Dry the bottle thoroughly with a hairdryer.
  21. Repeat steps 14-15, you need to apply at least 3 coats of Modge Podge, but remember that with every layer, the direction in which the Modge Podge is applied, must be changed from horizontal, to vertical, to horizontal, etc. Also, remember that after every layer of Modge Podge, the bottle must first be dried thoroughly with the hairdryer.
  22. Ad

23. Using the fine paintbrush and the Old Gold acrylic paint, paint a border pattern around the top of green cover. Make small dots, ensuring that the dots are equally distanced from each other. Allow to dry thoroughly.
  24. With the 10/32 inch brush, add a layer of water-based varnish to the bottle, again only painting over the paper and flowers. Use the hairdryer to dry the bottle thoroughly.
  25. Fill the bottle with the bath salts and cork it.
  26. Optional: Using a low heat setting, melt some candle wax in a small pot on the stove. Use an old brush and paint the melted wax over the cork and top of the bottle to seal the bottle. Tie raffia and the small wooden scoop around the neck of the bottle.

By Benetta from Pretoria, Gauteng

I have just done some decoupage on a wine bottle, and wanted to check whether it is possible to store liquid inside? In order to do it, I have used the PVA glue on the outside.

Answers

If the inside is untouched it should be fine.

This is me, but I would not put anything into the bottles.

Even if you cleaned and disinfected them before decoupaging, it is possible they got contaminated while you were crafting.

When they are empty there is not going to be a good way to clean and disinfect without risk of hurting your handiwork. If you filled the bottle with hot water to clean, it is possible that could affect your decoupage.

Best to use them for pretty decorations only! That is just me!! Decoupage is so much work, I would hate to see it ruined.

Thank you, and I totally understand what you're saying. With the information you provided me with, I may decide to create a removeable cover on a wine bottle in order to both clean and discinfect properly.

A removal cover could be the perfect solution! Please post your lovely handiwork. It sounds like you are making something quite special!

Crafts DecoupageJuly 2, 2013
📓
🎂
🌻