Choosing Granite Countertop Colors

In an open concept living room+dining room+kitchen with lots of natural light, I have ivory color cabinets with a white tile backsplash, brushed steel hardware, and stainless steel and black kitchen appliances. The kitchen floor is white-cream tiles, whereas the living room and dining room have American standard (medium color brown) wood flooring. My kitchen chairs are in steel with black cushions, living room furniture is dark (egg plant/black) and dining table is very dark mahogany. The drapes are cream silk. Wall paint is all white.

I am planning to change my counter top to granite. What color granite will be best?

By hemant from Canada

Because of the cost of granite I would pick whatever color you like. Any color will go with white and black. The furniture is something that you will gradually replace over time, whereas the counter tops will probably be permanent because of the cost.

"Google" kitchen makeovers and look at pictures that have some of the colors in your existing kitchen. When you find a color combo you like, note the color of the counter tops, or visit a home repair store like Lowes or Home Depot. See how they match granite with different flooring/cabinetry.

Worked for me! I have pickled oak (light) cabinets, black appliances (and had a new copper colored tile floor installed) I chose black, speckled granite look laminate. It was a different color than I thought I originally wanted! I am so happy with my now 4 year old makeover!

This color scheme sounds very cool - do you need to add warm tones to the rooms?

A medium shade of grey is what I would pick. You have the ivory on your cabinets with the steel handles, then white backsplash and light flooring. Your appliances ss will balance out the handles, but you have little to nothing (so it sounds) to balance out the black. (Are you talking ss w/black trim appliances or some ss and some black?) Anyhow, to balance out the black, but not darken too much in your kitchen, I'd go with med grey with darker speckles.

You could go black granite with light grey, but on days that are not sunny and bright, it could make your kitchen look really gloomy. Just a thought. I would be interested in what you do come up with, a few pics?