Dips & SpreadsRecipes

Steve (Cheese Party Dip)

This is a fantastic Super Bowl party recipe, easy to fix and men especially love it.

It is a family joke why this dip is called "Steve". I once had a Super Bowl party that 27 Marines and sailors attended, and they all loved it. As new men arrived, the first thing one of the guys did was introduce them to the dip. Several asked me for the recipe. Keep extra on hand, it goes quickly.

• 1 lb. ground meat
  • 1 lb. (1 chub) sausage meat
  • 1 lb. Velveeta cheese
  • 1 (8 oz.) bottle mild Pace Picante Sauce (or your favorite salsa)

Directions:

You can fry the meats together, although I used to just cook them in a casserole in the microwave. Drain the meat. While the meat is draining, cut the Velveeta into large cubes and put in the casserole dish (I just wiped out the caserole dish I used for the meat with a paper towel). Pour in the salsa.

Cover the dish and microwave until the cheese is half melted. Add the meat, stir and microwave until the cheese is all melted. Stir until all the ingredients are blended well.

I used to keep this in a slow cooker to keep it warm during the party. I prefer the mild salsa because not everyone likes to have the skin seared from their tongue. Keep the hotter salsa on the side for those who do. Serve with tortilla chips.

Servings: hard to say, never seemed to be enough
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes

Source: Family recipe I got from a friend.

By Kath from Dundee, Scotland