Growing Anemone

This flower is rather new to me. It was given to me a couple of years, ago. Just today, I learned it's name. It is a Japanese anemone. One of it's popular common names is 'wind flower'.

Since finding it's name, I did a bit of research. They are perennials, available in a wide range of colors. They are a rather slender plant, attaining a height of around two to three feet. They die down to the ground each winter and return each spring.

They can be easily grown from seed and require very little care. They do not appreciate strong, full sun, and thrive in part shade.

They do have one peculiarity. They are very sensitive to both dry and wet soil. During the growing season, they should be kept evenly moist at all times.

An attribute of this flower is that it blooms late summer when a nice splash of color is welcome. It tends to multiply rather quickly. I over wintered mine above ground in pots (zone 7b). They didn't seem to mind, at all.

Unusual for me, I've never checked to see if the flower has a fragrance.

3 More Solutions

Plant Greek Wind Flower bulbs in zones 4-8 in the spring. They grow to a height of 4" to 6" and prefer rich, well-drained soil and sun to partial shade. Plant Poppy Anemone bulbs in zones 8-11 in the spring. They grow to heights of 12" to 18" and prefer light sandy soil and full sun.

Anemone (Greek Wind Flower, Poppy Anemone)

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

How can I propagate anemones? I already have some plants growing at the moment. Thanks.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Richard from UK

Answer this Question

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

This graceful flower is one of my favorites. I love the curving lines of the stems and the tight round buds. My garden path needs weeding, but that will have to wait for another day.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7
Home and Garden Gardening BulbsFebruary 23, 2012
🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf83748717.tip.html