Found Change Keeps Loved One Involved

My husband and I have done something from the very start of our life together. Every time we find money on the ground, we keep it separate from our own and put it in a clear glass piggy bank when we get home. It is almost full now and we are looking for another bank to start filling. It has been so much fun, we love doing it. We decided that after one of us dies, the other one will use part of the money to pay for major things so that the one that has died will still be a part of it. For example, I die and Ken buys a new truck. He will write a check for the amount but pay the cents of it from our piggy bank money. That way the truck will link us together.

I am going to buy 2 extra banks for each of our grandchildren. I want them to start saving "found" money as well as earned money. It is just amazing to watch the bank fill up. I think it's a good way to teach them how important it is to take care of their money.

By TexasDarling from East Texas

My husband and I used to clean out foreclosed homes for HUD and the banks before we retired.
We used to have a contest to see which could find the most money. The laundry room was the best place and around the edges of the carpet and in couches and chairs, and drawers. We use to save the money for something we wanted which was not in the budget or go to a nice place to eat, ect. The work was just awful and sad to do but made it a little fun at the end of a very tired day.

I saved my change in a bank too, a large one that never seemed to quite fill up. Then one day it occurred to me that the money was just sitting there and not earning interest. So I started using a smaller container and deposited it every other month in the bank. The interest isn't much, but it is more free money and has added up quickly.

WOW! I think I need to leave west texas and walk in your part of the state because I rarely find any money on the ground...nothing bigger that a quarter and mostly a penny now and then. :) But, it's a good idea and I empty loose change I drop in the bottom of my purse and use a bank that adds up my change for me.