House PlantsGardening

Is This a Pineapple Growing on My Plant?

Category House Plants

I started this about 4 years ago from a pineapple I bought from the grocery. I cut off the top and planted it in soil in a pot.
It started coming up from the middle of the plant about a week after Easter. My neighbor thinks it's not going to be a pineapple because of the pointed thing coming out of it. I was all excited too thinking I grew a pineapple. What is your opinion?

Thank you,
Teddi

Hi,

It sure looked like one to me. I found a site showing a picture very similar to yours at a Florida gardening site:

http://www.flor  om/misc/hgpa.htm

Susan from ThriftyFun

Looks like it to me also. It could look a little different because of growing conditions, climate, soil, etc.

YES!!!!!!!! It's a baby pineapple, alright. I had one two years ago and that's exactly what they look like. It will go thru several stages of looking "different" before it finally takes on that pineapple look. I noticed my baby in March and I finally had a good sized pineapple in September, so you can pretty well figure on about 6 months. Mine was the sweetest tasting pineapple!!!!!!! Maybe it tasted extra delicious because I grew it.

What a great idea! I want to try this at home! Did you grow this pineapple top indoors or outside? Any other special tricks that you used?

Yep that's a Pineapple allright! I did the same thing and it was the most AMAZING feeling EVER!

I grew my own Pineapple!

YAY!

That is so pretty I don't think it matters if it is a pineapple or not! Did you grow it indoors or out?

I Like That Pineapple Thingy! It Looks Soo Kool!!! Were Growing Pineapples At My House! Weve Got Two But There Still Just Roots Attached To Leafs! Well I Like Yurr Pineapple Its Kooler Than Our Yurrs iz Pretty! Ours iz Sorta Ugly! Well Bye!!!

Please Help!!!

I will be starting my first one tomorrow, I am excited, Is it possible to get seed like parts off the plant at a particular time of it's life fazes? or is every plant started from another plant One for One?

yes, it is! I planted the cut top from a store bought pineapple a few years ago in a pot on a very shady patio, then transplanted it to my new sunny garden about a year ago. I was as excited as you are to notice that it had recently produced fruit. I am looking forward to eating mine in a few weeks, once it gets a little larger.

YES IT IS! My uncle just had his come up very similar looking after two years. The flowers will die off and then the fruit will be ready for picking. HEre is a great web resource for growing your pineapple plant: http://www.rick  le/pineapple.htm

Yes, it's a pineapple.

Yes it is. It will continue to get larger and turn a yellow/gold color. The top will develope into another crown the type of which you planted in the first place. Once the fruit is ripe, twist it off of the plant and continue to water and fertilize the plant. Another flower will come up from the plant and within a few months you will have another pineapple. Enjoy it

Will the same plant produce more that once?

Well Im not sure about your friend, but I have the same plant siting on my kitchen table. My daughter got it for me for mothers day and she has one in here bathroom. I think your growing a pineapple.

That is definitely a pineapple! I don't know what ur friend is thinking but that pineapple is in its flowering stage. You got urself a nice one there!

Yes indeed you have a pineapple. I have about 16 of these plants in my yard and have harvested 1 of them. Although it was a runt, it was full of flavor. Enjoy and watch it grow.

Susan M Smith

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT EAT THAT PLANT!

Most pineapples go through a flowering stage similar to the picture posted on this page, but the violet shade of your petals indicate that it is of the poisonous variety. My dear friends, this is a TAINTED plant! My father got seriously ill a couple years ago...an infection in his colon. The infection was an internal mold that grew after ingestion of his home-grown pineapple experiment.

I want to get pineapple plants tell me where I get in Malappura or Trissur.

I started my pineapple 5 years ago, and just last week, I noticed a flower just starting to form. It'll be months more before I get my first pineapple, but it's worth the 5 to 6 year wait. Just imagine- pineapples in New Hampshire...my wife thinks it's crazy.

I just got back from Costa Rica and saw pineapples growing and it sure looks like a pineapple to me! Good luck

It is my understanding that each pineapple plant produces just one fruit.

Yes, and what a beautiful one! I was looking for pictures of them in their flowering state. I think I will try to grow one myself :) I may start one so that I can put it in my vivarium when I build the larger one, the bromeliads are supposed to do very well with amphibians and reptiles. Anyway, as for that person that says it is poisonous. That sounds like a total crock. Have you ever heard of a poisonous variety of pineapple? I didn't think so.

However, the fruit of an unripe pineapple is poisonous and will irritate both your mouth and your throat. Perhaps this is what happened with her father, though I think (my own opinion) that the reason that it irritates is because it is SO acidic. If her father had some sort of internal mold, that could have been from any number of things, including some type of contaminate on the pineapple. Calling it a poisoning is a bit of a stretch though.

Anyway, have fun watching it grow, and try not to eat it until it is fully ripe! I've heard that they are so much sweeter if you can make yourself wait.

Yes it is! Great job. 4 years? Wow that's a long time. It usually only takes 2 for me. But I live in Florida and we have great weather for it here on the East Coast. Congrats! T

It's a pineapple alright; tell that neighbor she is incorrect. Congratulations.

Here is a site that has several photos of homegrown pineapple fruits throughout different phases:

http://wierdlin  /pineapples.html

The page is entitled "A page about growing pineapples". I cut the top off a storebought fruit and slid it into a small ziplock bag with the top sticking out. I added a wet paper towel and put it on my counter since the weather was bad & I couldn't plant it yet. A week went by and low & behold I checked the top and little white roots were coming out !! I didn't trim the leaves back as some websites tell you to - did nothing special & roots were already growing. I sliced an apple up and put it next to the plant last year and now I see a pineapple growing. No fuss and in 2 years you get pineapple. Monica