Plant HealthGardening

What Causes Yellow Leaves On Squash Plants?

My zucchini and summer squash both have brown and yellow leaves. Is this because I water too much or is it getting too much full sun?

By Mary from CA

Many things can cause this. Most likely it is a type of fungus. I would try spraying with fungicide once a week. It also could be bugs. Look under all the leaves for life sucking bugs like aphids and stink bugs and check the stalk for vine bores (little bugs that dig into the plant). You can spray off aphids with a quick spray of the hose and use 7 for most other bugs. As for the vine bores I haven't found any thing that works.

We are having a lot of rain here in New England. Is this why my acorn squash is turning yellow (the leaves on the plants)?

By Loree from CT

Answers:

You can wash the iron out of the soil with a lot of water. You still need to water. You can get at the plant shop/farm store liquid iron in the bottle, mix it when you water. (06/16/2010)

By T&T Grandma

Can you tell me why my zucchini have yellow leaves? If I use the oil will that solve the problem? I have 1130 plants that produce 30 kg. Is that good for the plant?

Please help me. Thank you very much.

Mr. Nadeem A.

The lower leaves on my squash plants, (winter squash, zucchini, summer) are turning yellow. Does anyone have any experience with gardening that could tell me if this is a water issue or a nutrient shortage or excess? I'm desperate! Thanks so much.

Pattie from Bridgton, Maine

Answers:

Too much water, especially in cool weather, is supposed to cause yellow leaves. You might try getting your squashes off the ground by putting them up on flower pots, that works for watermelons. (07/02/2007)

By perfume and powder

Well I'm in NH and have the same problem. I believe it's a combo of bugs and cool dampness. We've been cold and wet for a long time! (07/12/2007)

By McMillan968

Zone 5a:
Same problem. Put them in the garden too soon. Been really rainy and cool this May. Cut off the yellow and hope for some sunny warm days. (05/23/2008)

By Jason