AdviceDogs

What Breed are My Dogs?

I adopted these little ones about 1 1/2 months ago and they were advertised as Boxer/Lab mixes. However, everyone seems to think they are Pit. The vet said maybe a little, then called another woman in the room and she said no Pit, so I'm not sure. I don't want to pay for blood work because it's not like I'm really going to return them. I would just like to know.

By Greenkat from Lexington, SC

I believe that breed is known as Adorable! I agree with the boxer/lab cross, though the one on the left has more of a pit head. Beautiful!

Those puppies are adorable! Congratulations on 2 beautiful forever friends! The little boy (blue collar?) has a shorter snout so maybe but boxers have that brindle color also. I have a dog (6 yrs now) who i was told was a Rottie. She had all the markings of a rottie but then as she got older more tan fur came out and she now looks like a shepherd with either a hound, lab, or beagle head depending on who you ask. She's a good dog regardless.

They are first of all absolutely darling pups, and secondly, you can feel confidant these are indeed Boxer-Lab mix. I'm 99.9% sure because I grew up in an AKC Boxer breeding-raising-training home, continued doing so until my last beautiful boy went to the Bridge (at age 13) in the food contamination horror. It took me over three years to be willing to have another dog in my life, a Boxer-Lab rescue I fostered for eight months. My cousin raises American Staffordshire Terriers (AST, the real name of pit bull dogs) and so I am very familiar with that breed as well.

ASTs have a much broader face and chest than either Boxer or Labs; the very broad AST chest continues right on through the belly. Your darlings have typical Boxers chests (wide-ish but tapering toward the belly and back-end), and a lovely combination of Lab snouts (lucky you, they probably won't snore or endure sleep apnea the way Boxers do) and Boxer 'cheeckbones'.

Absolutely lovely, lovely dogs!

Be advised as Boxer-Labs, they won't reach full physical growth or mental maturity until around age 3 years although they will be able to breed at around seven months old-have them spayed or neutered if you are not going to be able to breed them with high quality mates.

Train them starting last month, lol, and always be lovingly firm with them because Boxers and Labs can be uhm, independent, which can be upsetting to family, friends, neighbours, and the average person in the street.

It would be a very good idea to always keep them on a lead when in public to avoid accusations of 'dangerous dog'; and you should know there are several American localities trying to legislate Boxers and any mix as 'dangerous' because they do look like AST to the average person, and that resemblance is VERY scary to people.

I can't tell you how many times strangers would come up to me in the park and say things like "Wow, your pit bull is so well behaved!". It got to where I wanted to put a specialty harness on them stating "I AM NOT A PIT BULL!"

Thanks all! Yes, I agree, super adorable!

I would say boxer-lab is a good guess. I don't see any pit in them at all. They are adorable pups, good luck with them.

Couldn't agree more with the previous comments. They are adorable, but as Lab/Boxer mix, you will have your hands full! Pups for a long time! LOL And as loyal & loving as can be! You are blessed & so are they!

They are so adorable.They are going to be such joys! They are going to give you lots of love and laughter!

I would actually be more inclined to say Boxer/Mastiff mix instead of Boxer/AST.

I had a puppy once that I had to give back because he was part pit. The vet could tell by his jaw and teeth structure . I don't know if that helps. I love the coloring. They remind me of my dog which is a Plott Hound mix. Especially the one on the left, male? I love my Plottie, very loyal family dog. Great w/ all the kids! Best of luck!

I see Rhodesian Ridgeback with a very little Mastiff or possibly Catahoula Leopard Hound. I uploaded a picture of some Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies.