RodentsPest Control

What Kind of Animal Could Have Gotten Into My Cellar?

I went down my to cellar and found a grey prickly animal in a ball. I think he is dead. I don't know how he could have gotten in. The window has an old carpet with weights on it. I found the old carpet in shreds and concrete bits all over the floor. Has anyone come across this? I called my landlord. He has to come down to handle it. I won't touch it. Thank you.

By Sarah

Where do you live? (Country, and region, if it is a big one.)

If you are in the US, I bet you have an opposum, and it may or may not be dead. (Sometimes their fur looks prickly--and obviously you're not going to touch it to find out!) They will curl up and play dead if they feel threatened.

It sounds like a hedge hog to me,I think they may be related to a porcupine (smaller though) but not sure. You didn't say where you live, I'm not sure if hedge hogs are in the U.S.A. or not but I do know that they live in the wild in Great Britan U.K.

That is why I wondered where she was. In the US we don't have hedgehogs; but the only other actually prickly animal here is a porcupine, but they're brown, and don't generally work their way into homes. I hope we get an answer, I am quite curious as to what it was, and if her landlord got it out!

Prickly ball? Someones pet hedgehog if you are in the states. If you are in England you would have known about them. If it is alive, please befriend it and give it food and water. It doesn't deserve to die a horrible death.

I think it sounds like a hedgehog too please let us know what you find out. Could have been someones pet. Very curious.

Hello everyone thank you for your responses. The landlord arrived with his shovel. He said it was a baby owl when he turned it over with the shovel. He doesn't know how it got in there. There are no holes outside. He did say it may have gotten in through the furnace. He stated it looks like it was there awhile. It wasn't there awhile. The plaster on the walls was down when I went down yesterday. I guess it was trying to get out but couldn't. The stuffed carpet in the window was a little on the floor. Also, the sink where I have the washer hose there was bits of concrete in it.

Again, it was trying to get out. The landlord doesn't know how it got in. I don't know what to think. There is an empty lot next to us and sometimes we will see rabbits, squirrels in our yard. We also see hedgehogs, sometimes. a baby owl this was. It was gray and prickly outside with a white face . It wasn't very large. If anyone has ever had a situation like this I would sure appreciate more feedback. Thank you everyone.

Birds will sometimes fall into a chimney, and escape into the home (since they can't fly out of a chimney). They can make a terrific mess trying to get out; and an owl, having an extra strong beak and talons, could sure make more than a songbird. Poor little thing! No one's fault, though.

Thank you. The landlord still hasn't gotten back to me about where the owl came in. He said he doesn't know. The chimney sounds like a good way he may have gotten in. I don't know how else. The landlord said it may have been through the furnace . Yes, that poor owl. He was trying to get out where our three windows are. There was concrete bits on the floor. I go down there once daily. We did not hear anything until I went down and saw the concrete bits on the floor!