PaintingHome Improvement

Should I Use Blue Painter's Tape When I Paint?

I'm about to paint a few different rooms in my house. I've never painted before and I was wondering if I should use that blue painters tape around the edges. Does that stuff really work or does the paint sometimes seep underneath it?

Priscilla from Zwolle

I have used the blue painter's tape, and had mixed resuslts with it. Paint does seep under it. To avoid this, you need to smooth the edges of the tape immediately before painting over the area where you are working.

Also, remember to remove the tape as soon as possible after painting. If it is left on too long, any paint along the edges (like along a baseboard) can be pulled up with the tape. If this happens, cut along the edge with a razor blade. Good luck.

The tape really helps do a better job of making sharp edges. You need to press it down tightly along the edge that you're painting against but if your brush is too wet it can seep over. I don't press it tightly all over, just along the edge. It's a lot of trouble (for me) but worth it.

it works great, press the edge firmly when you put it on and its better than regular masking tape because it comes off easily later. you can't go wrong with it.

I have used the blue painters tape and for me it really works, I buy it at our local Walmart and one roll lasts a long time.

Diane in NY

Another trick is to paint along the edge of the tape first with the same color that is under the tape. Let that coat dry; if it does seep under the tape it won't be visible.

Then paint the different color. When you pull the tape back along itself the dried paint should break cleanly and leave no rough edges.

I used it when we painted our whole house. It works great! I also used it when we had new carpeting put down. I taped all the baseboards, the stairway newel post and everything to keep my wood safe. It worked even then when it was abused by the carpet layers.

When we moved into our 90 year old house and painted/redecorated, we went out and bought all the supplies - including blue painter's tape. But even after trying different ways of using it, (many of them listed here) nothing was giving us a nice clean edge. The reason was, that where the wall met the ceiling was not even or smooth (because it was old construction and probably decades of paint were already on the walls). What ended up working best for us was a slow, steady hand and touch-ups as needed.

I agree with Walt, that painting the tape the same color as the background before you put the topcoat on works great!

Blue tape will work fine. Unlike masking tape the blue tape is not creped but flat so just press the edges down firmly. Remover the tape when the paint is tacky.

I have used it many times and it always works great.
Put the tape down and press the edge firmly with your finger.
When you start to paint, start with a thin coat of paint and paint from the middle of the tape outwards to the wall you are painting.
When you put a second coat on the edge will be sealed and you can put on thicker if you want

Priscilla, I have seen on the home improvement shows to use the blue tape,then put a fine line of clear varnish along the edge to seal it. They claim their edges come out perfect when they remove the tape. Another hint would be not to leave the tape on for any long period of time(like days) Hope this helps. Judy in Alabama

I used the 3M blue tape and it destroyed my ceiling, taking paint and drywall paper off with it. Don't risk it.

I've used the blue tape several times and have had good luck with it. I think "R" may have waited too long before removing it. There is a green tape called Frog Tape that works as well as or even better than the blue. Two friends who are professional painters always use Frog Tape.