AdviceDogs

Dog Lonely While Owner at Work

My Jack Russell is very lonely; she's 3 years old. I work for 6 hours a day, any advice?

By jackrusselowner from Ireland

Can you elaborate on what you mean by lonely? Is she being destructive? Having accidents?

Get your pet another animal to play with. Dogs become lonely and another dog will perk her up.

No she's not having accidents or anything, but I do go out and try to cheer her up at night. I just don't think it's working.
I will try to get another dog.

Oh and we've had her for 3 years now and she's always been outside it's just in the winter she gets lonely, I think.

Anonymous

Get her a new pal. Maybe another dog, or even another animal as long as they get along. You could also get her some toys, like a kong or one of those toys that makes noise when played with or something to keep her happy. Hope I helped :)

Anonymous

Toys and a hidden treat and for certain leave the radio or television on to stations you normally listen to that she's familiar with and especially if you're not able to get a pet soul mate for her :-)

Well I have the same issue. I have an American Bulldog who is considered a viscous animal in Calgary AB. She is not allowed by herself in the back yard. So while we are at work she has to stay inside the whole time. We take her on plenty of walks in the morning evening and night time but I know she needs something more and we just can't seem to figure out what? She doesn't play well with other animals. She has all the toys she needs has fresh water and good food. Has a very comfy bed. I treat this dog like royalty and I just want to do what I can to make her happy, but I don't think she is. So I am trapped and don't know what to do either.

Get her a buddy!

I would suggest getting an old fasioned answering machine. That way you can call home a few times during the day and talk to your dog. They hear your voice and become soothed. If you call at the same time everyday eventually your dog will wait by the phone for your call. How they know what time it is is beyond me.