AdviceDogs

How Do You Preserve Dog Treats?

I love cooking treats for my dog but have no idea how to make them last longer than a couple of days. Some will last in the refrigerator for a few days or up to a couple of weeks. Luckily others will go in the freezer.

How do the dog treat bakeries make everything last for months in boxes and foil packets? They say no preservatives but is this true? Does anyone know? I'm getting tired of making them all the time but also like to know what goes into my dog's food!

Tracey from SA

You can use natural preservatives such as Vitamin E. That is what several bakeries in my area use, or simply make sure all treats are dried completely. This way they will last up to 6 month or even longer is stored properly. That is what I do with my treats that I sell. Most all dogs I have run into, Both big and small usually prefer the hard treats over the soft treats anyways :) For soft treats, Just freeze and thaw as needed.

bowwowpetbakery.110mb.com/

I personally won't use any type of preservatives in my dog treats, Even tho natural preservatives are far better, You must also realize that it is being used in nearly all dog foods and treats now, A little vitamin E is good for a dog, But it's getting so its over loaded, What dangers does that now pose to our precious pets? I say Stick with dehydrated treats, They are far better & safer for your Dog .