Use Produce Bags to Cover Your Casseroles in the Fridge

I find that the large plastic bags that you put your produce into at the grocery store recycle to make wonderful 'covers' for your casseroles such as Lasagna pan size or smaller for storage in the refrigerator. Just make sure the printing on the bag is on the outside when you slide your casserole into it. My husband now even saves the clean produce bags for me to reuse since we are both retired. Saves money and recycles at the same time!

By MaryCrane from Orange Park, Fl

i dont know that i would do that. what was in that bag when you brought it home and where had that stuff been before that?? is the bag clean, did it have bleach in it, or did you put dried goods in there that had dirt on them.

If you are worried about the contents of the bag contaminating the bag, just wash it out. My mother-in-law washed and dried plastic bags as a regular thing -- there were no "one use bags" in her house. She even washed and re-used bags that brown sugar came in. I wash and re-use ziplock bags, especially the heavy duty ones that are used for freezing.

This is a good tip. Some people just assume that you have to use saran wrap -- a fresh piece every time -- for this sort of thing. I re-use the produce bags for many things -- home made bread, for instance.

By Manny from Australia (Guest Post)

I use shower caps to cover casseroles. I buy them from a dollar shop 6 for a dollar. After use I wash them and dry them for re-use.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsSeptember 17, 2008
📓
🐛
🌻