PiesBaking & Desserts

Brown Sugar Pie Recipe

I'm looking for a recipe for Brown Sugar Pie. Many years ago there was a cooking show on TV that featured two older gentlemen - I believe the show was called "Cookin' Cheap", but I'm probably wrong. This recipe was extremely easy to make. While baking, the pie was supposed to "raise up like a top hat". Anyone every heard of this?

Sue

A web search for "brown sugar pie" brought up over 800,000 hits. Surely one of them will work for you. Good luck.

By Judy (Guest Post)

That's 800,000 hits, not recipes. I am pretty sure she is looking for a particular recipe to save her from having to go through a thousand pages. One problem I have found with googling recipes is that it's usually the same recipe over and over and not the one I am looking for.

Could this be it?

Brown Sugar Pie
From Diana Rattray,
Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine.

A brown sugar pie made with butter, brown sugar, eggs, and milk.
INGREDIENTS:

1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons water

2 cups cold milk
4 tablespoons cornstarch
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 baked pie shell
PREPARATION:

Combine brown sugar, salt, and water in top of double boiler. Boil over moderate heat to a thick syrup (about 5 minutes). Mix 1/4 cup milk and cornstarch to a thin paste. Add 1 3/4 cups milk; then combine with hot syrup and cook over hot water until thick and smooth, then cook 15 minutes longer, stirring constantly.

Stir a small amount of mixture into beaten egg yolks, return to double boiler, and cook a few minutes longer. Add butter and vanilla. Cool. Pour into baked pie shell. Top with a meringe.
For meringue:

2 egg whites
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Beat egg whites until the hold stiff peaks. Add sugar gradually, beating constantly. Add vanilla. Pile lightly on filling; bake at 325 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until firm and lightly browned.

By BLewis (Guest Post)

do a google search, they are still on..............."Larry Blye and Labin Johnson, the stars of "Cookin' Cheap" television's longest running cooking show,"

By mardon39 AT yahoo.com (Guest Post)

My Grandmother got a recipe from her Mother-in-law in 1915. She never would reveal the recipe and I have never seen a pie like it. It was delicious.

All I can remember was it had molasses in it. A rough cake would rise to the top while baking and the bottom was a sweet gel like(pecan pies have). It was a German recipe. I have been looking for it for 60 years.