AdviceCleaning

Protecting Sheets and Mattresses

To stop incontinence from staining your sheets and mattresses, place a rather large rubber-backed bathroom rug with a soft top under the butt area, and nothing will get through to the sheets or below. I keep three of them in the house since I took care of a female relative with this problem.

By Joan in CT

To protect the mattress from a young bed wetter we put a flannel backed vinyl tablecloth under the bottom sheet or under the mattress pad. It is actually machine washable & dryable, just like the sheet set. (wash & dry on warm/lower temp.) You can put either the plastic or flannel side facing up.

I have found a way to make the store bought pillow and mattress bags work...

If you have ever used them you know .... they are basically large zip lock bags... they don't "breath" fast enough.... one jump on the matress or pillow and the plastic bag "pops".

Now when I buy new ones ... I take white "duct" tape and place it on the bottom end of the matress bag or the side opposite the zipper on a pillow bag. Then I take a regular office hole punch and punch holes through the area covered by the duct tape. This prevents "poping" the bag because it allows air to flow out freely. The tape reinforces the holes and prevents them from tearing.

While this does obviously reduce the barrier... its better than buying new ones every week.