Freezing Hot Peppers

Can jalapeno peppers be frozen?

By Mike from St.Louis, MO

The best way to freeze peppers is to,wash them pad them dry, cut into pieces, and slightly coated with olive oil then place in freezer bags or whatever method of storage you prefer. The reason for the oil is when they freeze they will not stick together.

I grow many types of peppers in my garden. I sometimes combine them and chop them in the food processor. Then I put them in zip lock bags and freeze them. If they are really hot I put them in ice cube trays, freeze them and then put them in a zip lock bag. This is great when you want just a little "zip" in your food.

Anonymous

All peppers can be frozen and the only thing needed is to make sure that, whether seeded and cut or whole, that they be patted dry really well. Since I use jalapeños a lot in my cooking I freeze whole after a wash, pat dry and placement in zip-lock bags and just take out on a need to basis. As long as they are dried well they will not unreasonably stick together because it's the moisture that causes the sticking.