Making Cordless Phone Batteries Last Longer

How long should a battery in a cordless phone last? Mine is just 2 years old and says low battery and will not hold a charge for more than 5 minutes. A new battery for this phone is $26.00. How do you take care of a cordless phone to make the batteries last longer? Is there a way to extend this batteries life? Is there such a thing as a generic phone battery? Thanks for reading and I will appreciate any and all advice.

Helen from Sassy

I would not keep it on the charger all the time when not in use. It may be the same as with cell phones: if you keep charging them they develop a "memory" and don't charge up all the way. Run the battery down....wait until the "battery low" warning comes on every time before you recharge it.
I hope this helps (next time).

Hi. I am not sure how to make the battery last longer but I can tell you the lowest price I have found for batteries. I had to replace mine about a year ago. The website I found charges .99 shipping and I got the batteries super quick!

http://www.batterydepot.com

I have had the same cordless phone with the same battery for 8 years. Sometimes it runs down completely, and sometimes it sits on the phone all the time. I don't really see that it makes a difference.

Your battery seems defective. Based on my experience, they should last a lot longer than 2 years.

I've also gotten batteries from Batterydepot.com and they are great! I've gotten batteries from there that I never would have thought replacement batteries were made for! And the prices are extremely reasonable. Especially when you consider the cost of replacing the item.

But it does sound like your battery is defective. Plus, as Mary T said, keeping it on the charger all the time when it's not in use will cause the battery life to be shortened big time. I let mine run down completely about once a month. Then give it a full charge. So far it's done great.