Pet PagesPets

Colt (Cat)

Colt is a wandering neighborhood cat, he's so sweet, but he's very skittish and shy, usually never coming very close to anyone. I wonder if he's been abused? The neighbor calls him Colt. My daughter and I love cats and we always love watching him walk around the neighborhood. We talk to him softly as well, and try to coax him over to us.

One day, we were playing outside, and I guess he's decided we aren't a threat. He came right up to us and boy is he a cuddler! He loves my little girl now, as you can see in the picture. He loves to purr as loudly as he can and rub himself all over us, he's such a sweetie. I'm sure glad he's decided to be friends with us!

By Stacey S. from Orem, UT

What a sweetie! Thanks for sharing. We love all of our 8 Kitty Fur Kids, too!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I went through a very similar experience with a long, haired, solid black cat that was named Spooky. I've never heard any cat purr as loud as he did. I felt honored that he permitted me to touch him and it didn't take long for him to win my heart. Thanks for sharing!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

more random "thumbs down"? Not nice!

We had a stray in our neighborhood when I was a teenager, who was the biggest, meanest cat I ever saw. He was jet black & had a head & shoulders like a bull, he whipped every cat & dog around-they were all terrified of him. People yelled & threw rocks at him whenever they saw him in their yards, they were all afraid of him too. I was afraid of him because he'd hiss & spit if you accidentally got near him. He liked to lay under our lilac bushes.

One day I caught him on our porch & as he ran,I noticed something funny about his neck. Using binoculars, I discovered he had a flea collar so embedded in his neck it had grown into the skin! It was making his head & neck swell badly & he had almost no voice.His breathing was shallow & rough, I don't have any doubt he would've suffocated if I hadn't done something.

It took me a couple of weeks coaxing him with food, to come closer to the house until I had him eating on the steps - as along as I stayed in the house.Eventually I was able to

stand on the porch, then sit on the steps while he ate, then he let me pet him-he decided he liked his ears scratched. He would purr & try to meow at me with his poor silent voice. One day I managed to quickly (barely) slip some scissors under the collar & cut it off a little bit at a time - expecting to get torn to shreds any second! When I pulled it off, it took skin, hair & blood with it. He cried & ran away, but he came back again & let me clean it with peroxide.

I think it was a great relief to him to have it off. He continued to come every day for food & let me scratch his ears, even giving the honors to my mom. He would purr & meow, with a voice that stayed hoarse. But he remained wild & never let us get closer than that. He was only around for a few more months before he disappeared. He was getting old & probably lost a fight with a dog or a car. I like to think I made his last months the happiest he'd had in his miserable life.

Reply Like this photo? Yes