AdviceDogs

Dachshund Pooping in the House After Back Surgery

Do you have a dachshund that's had back surgery and was previously housebroken but now poops in the house? I never had any problems with my four year old pooping in the house until he had back surgery October 1st. You'd never know he had surgery as he is running around and playing as ever.

Before the surgery he would bark at the door to go out, even in the snow. Now he refuses to go out to do his pooping. I haven't discovered any wetting in the house. He is pooping twice a day and in different parts of the house and in several places, not thin and not constipated. I can't even make plans for a vacation staying with friends or staying in a motel. I feel trapped. I love my dog and I'd never give him up, but this is wearing on my patience.

By Betty from Lubbock, TX

Have you talked with your vet about this? I wonder if there could be some neurological reason. I would rule that out first. Second, I wonder if he somehow associates being outside and pooping with pain. For sure something strange is going on with your little guy if he previously had been completely housebroken.

Also, watch him. Most dogs when they are getting ready to poop, will sniff around, paw around and find just the right place. Is he doing that? If not, maybe he is not getting enough "warning" signals that he is going to poop. Maybe because of some neurological reason, he just poops and doesn't have time to let you know he needs out. Good luck and thank you for being patient with him!