Well Water Tastes Bad

Category Plumbing
Well water often has more particulate in it than water from a municipal source but it shouldn't taste badly. If your well water tastes bad, this may be sign that you need to filter it and perhaps consider having it tested for contaminates.

I was wondering if anyone had a tip for well water that has a slightly bad taste to it? I know our water is very hard also. I am so tired of buying bottled water, but I don't know what else to do. Please help!

Blossom from VA

Answers

Best Answer

My mother in law years ago use to boil her well water that she drank and let cool then refrigerate and said it removed the bad taste. She seemed to only have the problem in the summer when it was hot and not much rain. Seems like she said it was sulfric then, not sure though if it works.

Best Answer

I bought a Brita water pitcher that has a filter. My water is very hard, full of rust, smells and tastes bad. The Brita pitcher really works. Unfortunately, the filters are expensive to replace every three months or so. But, buying bottled water is much more expensive!

By June (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Have your well tested by your county health department! It may need to be de-contaminated with clorox which worked for me.

I always have the rust problem and am probably going to have to do this again myself. They will tell you how.

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I have the same problem. I fill milk jugs with water and let them set on the porch for a couple of days then put in the refrigerator. The water tastes fine then. I keep jugs on the porch all the time and just rotate the jugs.

Best Answer

I use a Pur Filter on my faucet. It just hooks to the cold water faucet on my kitchen sink. It pushes up to the side when I am not using it...such as drawing water to wash dishes, etc. Then when I want water to cook with or to drink, I pull it down and it filters the water. As with the Britta filters, they are kind of expensive, I buy mine at Sam's Wholesale Club and they are about $40 for 4 filters.

(You can also buy them at Lowe's or Walmart,and the part that fits on your sink comes with one filter.) They have a gauge to show you when it is time to change them, and that will depend on how much you use them. I have to change filters about every 6-8 weeks, but as the other person said, it is cheaper than bottled water. I usually filter water into a large jug, and store in the fridge, so that I have a cold drink. I also use the filtered water to make ice cubes for our drinks.
You can also put a filter on your well at the tank. We have one there, too, so our drinking water is filtered twice. That filter is what is called a "whole house" filter, and it filters the water that goes into my washing machine. That filter is about $35.00, and we change it about 4 times a year, which also is a little expensive, but not nearly so expensive as the piped in water that we chose not to hook up to.

Harlean from Arkansas

Best Answer

I have city water but it doesn't taste as good as the spring water I used to have before I moved here. I took the advice I read somewhere: put a few drops of lemon juice in a glass of water and it covers any bad taste. Then sometimes I put about half water and half orange juice. It tastes just like orange juice but I get the benefits of both. And it "stretches" the OJ.