KitchenHome Improvement

Brightening Cabinet Finish Without Stripping

Does anyone have a way to make dark kitchen cupboards with an antique finish look brighter? I don't want to strip, but they are way too dark for the small area. Any hints will be welcome. I have noticed a good hard scrub in some areas would take the paint down to the original wood.

By jackie from VT

Have you thought about painting them? It's a bit of work, but can totally change the room. Here's a good link with details:
http://www.oldh  n-cabinets.shtml

In this link Allison, they suggest using oil paint. That is a good one to use to have it hold but it is messy to work with, especially if you have a lot of cabinets. In the article they said acrylic paint does not hold up as well. In articles I have read, they said that is what you should use because it holds up better. So probably be better to ask at a reputable dealer. I am trying to get up the gumption to paint my own but I have so many that it seems daunting.