House TrainingDogs

Dog Urinating at Friend's House

I have a male, neutered labrador dog. He will be 2 in April. He has been house trained since he was 10 weeks old and has never had a problem since. I take him to friends houses quite frequently who have dogs, but last night he urinated twice inside a friends house. Once on my friend's bed pillow that he had knocked off the bed and for a second time on my friend's dog bed that he has for his male golden retriever. He has been around this dog and at this house several times and has never done this. Any ideas or suggestions as to why he would do this? He had been out to use the restroom and did about 2 hours before that.

Thanks!

Amie from Grand Prairie, TX

Well, I'd say that he is just trying to mark territory. My male dog would pee in "his" chair after my husband would sit in it. I'm sure it's just that he is trying to establish some kind of place at your friend's house. After I first got married, my dog even peed in our bed--but only on my husband's side. He hasn't done it in a long time though, so maybe after the dog figures out who is in charge and such, he'll quit.

Male dogs will do this to mark their territory.

I have a male Poodle, Pompi and he Never did this...then we got another male Poodle and now Pompi tries to mark all over the house.. a real problem. I am sure it will stop...soon.

After he gets used to our new addition.

Anonymous

Your dog did that because as the other posters said, he was 'marking' his territory even though it wasn't his. It's a dominance thing. When you take your dog anywhere, make sure he or she has relieved itself to lessen this unfortunate event from reoccuring. Also, when you are at someone's house with your dog, don't allow him or her to wander around. Have your dog on a leash and make him or her sit by you or lay down next to you. Even when you get up, the dog should be trained to stay. Proper training is the key.