Sewing MachinesMachines

Shopping for a Belt for a Singer Treadle Sewing Machine

My grandmother used to have a Singer sewing machine. She used it a lot. Now that the rope was broken (the rope that connects the treadle to the machine itself), it does not operate. Where do I get a new rope or if possible, how do I make one? It's a manual sewing machine (non electric). The machine operates, but without that rope, I can't use it.

By David

I would try the yellow pages under sewing machine service and repair in your area. maybe they could be of help or steer you in the right direction.

Here's the link where you can purchase the belt you need. You will need to know the length and width of the belt and their prices are reasonable.

http://www.bona  T-3-16-/17407494

Probably what you would use now is a belt like is in vacuums. You might ask at a vacuum shop because they carry different belts. If they don't have the right one go anywhere that uses belts (even a car repair shop) and see if they have one. Measure how long the rope used to be with a string and take it to the shop.

I buy mine at a Singer sewing machine/fabric shop. I believe they are available online, too. If I were you, I would call the sewing machine repair shops and see what they have. There are lots of our old treadle machines in use, so the parts are still available. Best of luck!

Thanks, but my grandmother came back from a city with the belt. Her machine runs perfectly like new. Those belts are breaking years after using it.

Any repair shop that repairs Singer sewing machines can order them; some carry them in stock. They are a long leather band with a clasp on one end. I believe that you soak it for some time in water, put the band on the sewing machine and tighten the clasp, and when it dries, the leather will shrink, tightening the band firmly around the machine and allowing the treadle to work.