Removing Dog Urine from Cement

The uncovered cement patio I share with the neighbor has been used for 4 months as the dumping ground of vomit, feces and urine for their 3 dogs. It has never been cleaned (occasionally the poop is removed) and it smells very bad. How can we clean this when they move out or do we have to put on new cement?

By Sharon from Kelowna, BC, Canada

Best Answer

I think if you rent (or borrow) a pressure washer, you should have good luck cleaning it. I would ask at one of the home construction types of stores what a good cleaner for concrete would be and use that. I would use that cleaner, rinse well, and if it still looked bad, mix a solution of bleach, detergent, and water, and scrub it with a long handled brush, then rinse and power-rinse.

I suspect any odors would be gone; but if some staining remains, you could stain the concrete with a product from the same store. Or, if you feel creative, stencil some leaves, or flowers, or the like randomly over the patio. I have even seen people paint faux bricks on patios with enviable results!

Good luck with the new neighbors!

I've always used bleach and a PineSol type cleaner w/ a good jet spray on the hose, and a broom. Put down the bleach and PineSol. Let sit at least 10 min, get the rough broom and scrub. Then go back and hose off w/ power spray. If the sun hits that area, all the better.