Altering the Waist Size on Jeans?

I need advice with enlarging the waist on a pair of jeans that zip on the side. There are buttons on the front. I don't want the buttons to appear off center, but the zipper will not zip. Can I do something with the back? I need to add 2 to 3 inches to these.

By Kathie from Portland, ME

You are going to have to cut the seam on the other side. Remove the zipper on the side. Add in fabric triangle with elastic to both sides. This will keep the design of the front and back straight.

Try adding the same fabric to areas on pocket (like a heart) and possibly down on one of the legs. You can also make a channel of fabric for belt to run through. Use a belt. Ria

How can I sew a waistband on my jeans so its not 2 - 3 inches away from my back?

By Sheila

Answers

See if you can enlist the help of a friend, then put the jeans on inside out.

Step one: Stand in front of a mirror, and have your helper 'pinch' ONLY the waistband at the back where it gapes. Using safety pins (less 'owie' potential:) pin the pinch-again, ONLY at the waistband, tapering the pinch from the top edge of the waistband to just below it.

*Important note: The pinch will usually naturally fall into a dart configuration, wider at the top edge tapering down to a point; expect that to happen as right and proper, so you don't over-adjust and end up with an adjustment that doesn't give you room to move around wearing the jeans.

Step two: Now take the jeans off and put them back on right-side out; move around, sit, stand, bend.

Still got the gaping going on? Repeat the first step to make further adjustments, then repeat the second step until you get the right fit.

Make sure to use denim needles, and heavy duty thread when you sew the adjustment into your jeans.

Crafts Clothing AlterationsFebruary 14, 2010
📓
🌻
😷
😎
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf96203671.tip.html

AlterationsClothing