Have Your Vet Clip Wings, Nails and Beaks

When it comes to clipping wings and trimming nails and beaks on pet birds, my vet recommends that you bring the bird in and let the vet do the dirty deed. Birds can hold a grudge for a LONG time for one thing, but it is critical in some cases that it be done by an experienced avian veterinarian.

Birds have sensitive beaks and, if trimmed wrong, it can affect their ability to eat, not to mention the pain if the beak has to heal. Their beaks have a generous blood supply so there is also the risk of severe blood loss. Toenails have a "quick", that is very sensitive, and if cut into, bleeding can be a huge problem. Also, if a blood feather is accidentally cut during wing-clipping, there is a possibility of tremendous blood loss. Incorrect wing-clipping can cause a bird to fall heavily when trying to glide down, causing possible broken bones. I have a Congo African Grey who is permanently crippled because of this.

I have seen the results of these errors since I have been volunteering at Avian Rescue. I have an Avian Vet who only charges $35 to do wings, nails, and beak. It is worth every penny to me to let the vet be the bad guy.

By one.of.a.kind from AL

Pets BirdsJune 1, 2010
🌻
🎃
🎂