Home SafetyHome Improvement

Smoke Detector Goes Off When I Walk Past

Why does my body heat make the smoke alarm go off when I go by it? What can I do to keep it from setting it off?

By Susan from VA

Does this only happen when you are cooking, or all the time? Since they work by smoke particles getting between the radioactive element and the receiver, if you have the detector near the kitchen (not recommended), the odors that stay in the air may be disturbed by your movement, causing the particles in the odor to set off the detector. Try moving the detector and see if the problem still exists. You didn't say anything about replacing the batteries, so I'm thinking this isn't a situation where the batteries need to be changed. If the detector isn't near the kitchen, I'd either buy a new one (they're cheap insurance) or ask your landlord to replace it if you are a renter.