Tree HealthTrees

Difficulties Growing a Sugar Maple

I have a Sugar Maple that I planted in our front yard 15 years ago and half of it is growing well and the other half is stunted. I have to trim the growing half back to be equal with the other side. The stunted side loses it leaves earlier than the other side, too.

The trunk at the base of the healthy side is enlarged somewhat. I dug around recently and the roots are going sideways as far as I can tell. Not sure what to do.

By Don from Pittsburgh, PA

I suggest you call your county extension off. Ask them for info on this tree, good luck.

You need to call the nearest University or College and ask how to get ahold of someone in the horticulture dept. They will be able to tell you how to get your answers if they can't help you. The professor may even use your tree as a learning tool for his students.