KitchenHome Improvement

Inexpensive Backsplash Ideas

We have recently retired and moved to GA. We purchased a single wide mobile home with a beautiful "stick built" addition. The kitchen however, is just "mobile home" quality. I'd like to paint the cabinets, install a back splash, and "clean it up"!

We're really into the nautical theme in our home. I'm thinking milk wash on the cabinets, but not sure what to do with the back splash. Due to recent health problems with my husband, we're on a shoestring budget. Please help.

By Gina from Lake Seminole, GA

Get a couple of inexpensive sheets of paneling and paint them white, cream, blue, or gray. For less than $40 you have a nautical (boat house theme)

Tip: Walmart has the cheapest paint ($10 for a gallon) + they can match ANY color. So go to any paint store for those little sample cards. (I like to tape several up for a few weeks to see what looks best in our home) Also, go for semi gloss it wipes down the best. (essential for spaghetti splatter)

Oh, if you are going with the white washed cabinets you should go with a medium to dark colored brown to make it look like the wood planks of a ship. There is a tool out there that makes paint look like wood, I suggest making it look like tong and grove. Or try putting contact paper that looks like wood. I would imagine you will have to sand it smooth first, and maybe add a little extra glue to the edges. I also saw a room with plank flooring on the ceiling, it was awesome, so cozy.