Cleaning Bathroom Linoleum

Can anyone suggest a solution for cleaning bathroom linoleum? We moved into a rental house that had a leaky toilet (now replaced) and have pee stains all around it. We have tried everything we could think of but the stain has gone into the texture it looks like. Would appreciate any help you can give. Can't afford to replace it at this time.

Thank you so much,
patsAZ from Arizona

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Did you know that you can paint linoleum flooring? You may want to consider that option. I guess you'd need to use the paint used to paint porch floors. I dont think there is any way to remove the stain.

Have you thought about covering it with a bathmat?

Best of luck

By carla bledsoe (Guest Post)
Best Answer

If it makes you feel any better the stains are probably not really pee. The reaction of the linoleum to constant water contact most likely discolored it.
This isn't something you'll be able to clean out, but just to rest your mind spray or pour a generous amount of peroxide around the area and let it set a while. It will kill any nasties that might be living there. I love peroxide as a household cleaner, cheap, easy, and readily available.

I think it is possible you won't be able to get the stains out of the flooring. We had a house in which the toilet leaked a little.

It caused staining/mold in the layers of the vinyl flooring, under the surface. The surface was completely clean, but there was no way to access the stains below or eliminate them.

By marge cribbin (Guest Post)

I moved into a rental apartment once that had contact paper on the floor. I was amazed how long it lasted, even w/my 2 teen sons, my mom and me. Wash and wax it just like linoleum.

Thank you all for your help and information. I do think it is just a lost cause. lol patsAZ

I've heard ammonia is suppose to help strip linoleum. Maybe that might help those stains also.

Paint it then polyurethane it.