StainsCleaning

Drywipe (Dry Erase) Marker Disaster on Light Clothes

I'm a teacher and have this habit of popping drywipe markers in my pockets (with lid on) whilst I'm teaching. Unfortunately one managed to make it through the wash. This wasn't so bad, what WAS terrible was opening the tumble dryer to have the pen fly out at me without the top.

All of the light/kaki clothes have lots of black dots and scribbles. I've washed the clothes twice with oxi clean and other stain removers but no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas, I'd really appreciaate any help.

Thanks

Mark UK

By Michlle (Guest Post)

Have you tried alcohol? Or you could even try paint remover. I know it sounds odd, but it is possible. I have used Denaturated (sp?) Alcohol and that has worked. But I would spot test it first.

By Karen (Guest Post)

Try soaking the styained clothes in either of these pre-treatments, then wash as usual.

1 cup each Cascade (dishwashing soap) and Clorox II in 5 gallons of the hottest water from your tap. Soak overnight and launder as usual.
(I've personally tried this on a lot of stains, and it is amazing!)

1/2 cup each vinegar, amonnia, Wisk laundry detergent and water. Put in spray bottle to use.

Both recipes came from the readers of the Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyzn.

By Linda (Guest Post)

Contact the manufacturer and see if they have suggestions. Most companies have a toll-free number or website you can contact.

Soak for 24-48 hours in a bucket of nappy soaker and detergent - for bad stains I use an extra strong solution. Just tip the whole lot into the washing machine after the soaking period and do a long wash. It doesn't remove the colour. For whites, (non synthetic), a good soak in bleach solution may do the trick.

I use nappy soaker for anything soiled or stained and then wring out and wash in plain water, (I don't use detergent as I recycle my gray water).

Regards

Jo - in very hot dry Australia!

By Chris (Guest Post)

I went online and googled dry erase marker on clothes and one of the tips that kept coming up was to use Murphy's Oil on the stain. I tried this with my daughter's white cotton shirt and the stain is 98% gone. I let it soak on the shirt for a few minutes at full strength and worked the stain with my finger nail as suggested. You wouldn't know there was dry erase marker on this shirt now. I hope this helps.

By helen poohead (Guest Post)

I love everyone in the hole world!