Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Alternatives To Dryer Sheets

foil ball

We all enjoy static-free, soft laundry, but dryer sheets are not the only way to accomplish this. This guide is about alternatives to dryer sheets.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Aluminum Foil as Alternative to Fabric Sheets

A ball of aluminum foil to prevent static in the dryer.If you don't have fabric sheets or just don't want to buy them, try using aluminum foil instead! Crumple up a sheet of aluminum foil into a ball and toss it into the dryer. It eliminates static cling, lasts a long, long time, and costs practically nothing!

By Marilyn from Colfax, LA

Tip: Use Vinegar Instead of Dryer Sheets

I have been told this before, but I tried this last weekend. I was not happy with my dryer sheets; I would rather not use them. Our sons use them so we have lots of them. Our clothes and towels were not coming out very soft and had a bad smell. So I tried wetting a washcloth with vinegar and putting it in the dryer with the towels.

Wow, when I took them out of the dryer they were soft and smelled so good. From now on I will use vinegar on a cloth.

Source: I read this from a book also called "Jerry Bakers Old-Time Vinegar, Garlic, Baking Soda, and 101 More Problem Solvers".

By Jamish

Tip: Vinegar and Aluminum Foil To Replace Fabric Softener

Toss 1/4 cup of vinegar in your washer. It's a natural softening agent and helps remove soap residue. Then toss clean clothes in the dryer with a large wadded up ball of aluminum foil to act as a conductor to attract the static electricity. When clothes are done, they not only smell good, socks don't stick to the t-shirts, etc.

By 2ggmsmolly from Katy, TX

Tip: Tennis Balls as Alternative to Dryer Sheets

To save money and time when drying your clothes, instead of using dryer sheets or dryer balls, put three tennis balls in the dryer with your load. This saves you money by not having to buy dryer sheets and cuts drying time in half. The tennis balls can be used over and over. They also make your clothes softer. I do this every time.

By blueeyes27 from Peru, IN

Tip: Dryer Sheet Alternative

In a pail mix 1 gallon water and 1 cup concentrated fabric softener. dip a sponge or dry washcloth in the liquid, squeeze out the excess and toss in the dryer with your laundry. Seal the pail when not in use. Re-soak the wash cloth when needed. It should be good a few times. Flannel pieces can also be used more than once before soaking again.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Tip: Use Fabric Softener in the Dryer

Instead of buying expensive fabric softener sheets, I put fabric softener in a spray bottle diluted 1:1 with water, spray Pellon interfacing material or a soft washcloth with about a dozen sprays, and throw it in the dryer.

I use Amway fabric softener which must be diluted but some brands may be OK to use without diluting. (If it doesn't spray easily, it may need to be diluted.) Wash the cloths every few loads to prevent buildup of fabric softener.

If there are a lot of pile fabrics or nylon garments in the wash that collect a lot of static electricity, try putting two or three sprayed cloths in the dryer. For garments that are dried on a line, just swab the surface of the garment with the cloth by hand. This method works especially well for my rubber-backed pile bathmat.

By Judy from Valley City, ND

Tip: Tin Foil Ball Instead of Dryer Sheets

foil ballNo need for those expensive tumble dryer sheets, just use a ball of tin foil. It works just the same but without the chemicals. If you want fragrance, a few drops of your favorite perfume or essence on a flannel will make your clothes smell wonderful.

By Monique from Somerset, UK., Weston-super-Mare

Tip: Avoid Using Dryer Sheets

Avoid using fabric softening sheets in your dryer, because the build up on your lint catcher becomes dangerous and keeps air from flowing properly. You can take your lint catcher out and run plain water through and see where it will not go through after use of these softener sheets for awhile. It becomes a fire hazard. This is not something I discovered. A friend told me to try and it seems to be true.

By Nancy from Shelby, NC

Tip: Add Liquid Softener To Orphaned Sock In Dryer

Didn't get the liquid softener into the washer with the clothes? Easy fix is to grab one of those orphaned socks from the pile and squirt a couple drops of liquid softener on it. Throw in the dryer with the load of clothes and voila! I often do this for every load of clothes since I discovered I use much less softener and the bottle lasts a very long time. BTW, if the missing sock shows up, just wash the 'softener sock' and make a pair again.

By cmoore from Poulsbo, WA

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Here are questions related to Alternatives To Dryer Sheets.

Question: Alternatives to Dryer Sheets

What can I use in place of dryer sheets?

Deb from NE

Most Recent Answer

By Jan01/27/2009

This came from the Duggar Family recipes. Buy a large container of fabric softner and 4 or so inexpensive sponges. Use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. Pour the fabric softner into the bucket. Fill the original fabric softner container twice with water, pour both into the bucket. Cut the sponges in half and put into the bucket. When you fabric softener, squeeze one of the sponge halves out and throw it into the dryer. Works better than a dryer sheet and is much less expensive! I'm sure it works with the more green fabric softners also.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Does Using Dryer Sheets Damage the Dryer?

Should I use dryer sheets in my new Kenmore washer and dryer? I seem to remember hearing, some years ago, that dryer sheets caused some kind of dryer damage.