Browsing: Alternatives To Dryer Sheets

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Alternatives To Dryer Sheets

We all enjoy static-free, soft laundry, but dryer sheets are not the only way to accomplish this. This guide is about alternatives to dryer sheets.

foil ball
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 28, 2009 Flag

I have been told this before, but I tried this last weekend. I was not happy with my dryer sheets; I would rather not use them. Our sons use them so we have lots of them. Our clothes and towels were not coming out very soft and had a bad smell. So I tried wetting a washcloth with vinegar and putting it in the dryer with the towels.

Wow, when I took them out of the dryer they were soft and smelled so good. From now on I will use vinegar on a cloth.

Source: I read this from a book also called "Jerry Bakers Old-Time Vinegar, Garlic, Baking Soda, and 101 More Problem Solvers".

By Jamish

June 28, 2011 Flag

A ball of aluminum foil to prevent static in the dryer.If you don't have fabric sheets or just don't want to buy them, try using aluminum foil instead! Crumple up a sheet of aluminum foil into a ball and toss it into the dryer. It eliminates static cling, lasts a long, long time, and costs practically nothing!

By Marilyn from Colfax, LA

March 2, 2011 Flag

Toss 1/4 cup of vinegar in your washer. It's a natural softening agent and helps remove soap residue. Then toss clean clothes in the dryer with a large wadded up ball of aluminum foil.

July 14, 2011 Flag

To save money and time when drying your clothes, instead of using dryer sheets or dryer balls, put three tennis balls in the dryer with your load. This saves you money by not having to buy dryer sheets and cuts drying time in half.

August 22, 2012 Flag

No need for those expensive tumble dryer sheets, just use a ball of tin foil. It works just the same but without the chemicals. If you want fragrance, a few drops of your favorite perfume or essence on a flannel will make your clothes smell wonderful.

foil ball

February 9, 2010 Flag

Instead of buying expensive fabric softener sheets, I put fabric softener in a spray bottle diluted 1:1 with water, spray Pellon interfacing material or a soft washcloth with about a dozen sprays, and throw it in the dryer.

December 16, 2009 Flag

Avoid using fabric softening sheets in your dryer, because the build up on your lint catcher becomes dangerous and keeps air from flowing properly.

November 13, 2014 Flag

He changed the sensor in the dryer and told us those "dryer sheets" had coated it, causing a false signal that turned off the dryer. He told us to stop using them. Now we only use liquid with our wash and no more trouble.

November 12, 2010 Flag

In a pail mix 1 gallon water and 1 cup concentrated fabric softener. dip a sponge or dry washcloth in the liquid, squeeze out the excess and toss in the dryer with your laundry. Seal the pail when not in use. Re-soak the wash cloth when needed.

December 29, 2008 Flag

What can I use in place of dryer sheets?

Deb from NE

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can purchase inexpensive "dryer balls" that go in the dryer with your clothes. They prevent static build-up and fluff the towels. I use fabric softener in the washer, but you could omit that if you liked. I got my dryer balls at a Books are Fun fundraiser, but I am sure they are available at other places. They are the size of tennis balls and are made of some blue plastic. These dryer balls would be especially good for people who are sensitive to the smell of laundry products.

Is there really such a thing as white cider vinegar, keeper60 or is that white OR cider vinegar? I am a big fan of using vinegar in the final rinse since I first tried it a month ago. But since I couldn't leave well enough alone, I tried the following. If you like a nice,clean smell, you can put lavender buds into your white vinegar and leave them for about a week, shaking often. Then strain out and use the lavender scented vinegar in the final rinse. It gives a light scent without being overwhelming.

Somewhere on a Thrifty Fun post a long time ago was the suggestion to take a arms length, or maybe it was two, of aluminum foil, and ball it up. Toss that in the dryer, and it is reusable for just about forever.

This came from the Duggar Family recipes. Buy a large container of fabric softner and 4 or so inexpensive sponges. Use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. Pour the fabric softner into the bucket. Fill the original fabric softner container twice with water, pour both into the bucket. Cut the sponges in half and put into the bucket. When you fabric softener, squeeze one of the sponge halves out and throw it into the dryer. Works better than a dryer sheet and is much less expensive! I'm sure it works with the more green fabric softners also.

January 18, 2008 Flag

Didn't get the liquid softener into the washer with the clothes? Easy fix is to grab one of those orphaned socks from the pile and squirt a couple drops of liquid softener on it.

December 16, 2009 Flag

Should I use dryer sheets in my new Kenmore washer and dryer? I seem to remember hearing, some years ago, that dryer sheets caused some kind of dryer damage.

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryAugust 23, 2012
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
Cookie sheet
Uses for Old Cookie Sheets
Cutting dryer sheets in half.
Saving Money on Dryer Sheets
Dryer Sheets
Are Dryer Sheets Safe for Birds?
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 18, 2016 at 11:05:37 AM on 10.0.2.214 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.