Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Autumn Craft Ideas

0 0EmailFollow
The finished Fall leaf card.

As the leaves begin to put on their fall colors, crafters look for new ideas for fall crafts to decorate their homes and give as gifts. This is a guide about autumn craft ideas.

Solutions: Autumn Craft Ideas

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Fall Leaves Birthday Card

Fall Leaves Birthday Card

Use a pattern of a leaf and fall colors to create a card that would be ideal for a friend celebrating her birthday during the Fall season.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

Yield: one card

• provided pattern of leaf
  • 8.2 x 8.2 in dark yellow cardstock
  • 7.1 x 3.1 in charcoal-colored cardstock
  • 7.1 x 3.1 in red corrugated cardstock
  • 7 x 7.6 in light yellow sugar paper
  • small pieces of light yellow, light orange, and dark orange sugar paper
  • 1 paper lace tray liner
  • 9 small yellow-colored flat-sided rhinestone beads
  • bronze-colored gilding paste
  • a sponge ~ use one that was inside a medicine bottle
  • quick drying glue
  • pencil
  • ruler
  • pattern edged scissors
  • Gingher embroidery scissors

1. Fold the 8.2 x 8.2 inch dark yellow cardstock in half to create a card 8.2 inches x 4.1 inches.

2. With the fold at the left, cut the front right edge with the pattern edged scissors.

3. Center and glue the charcoal-colored cardstock to the front of the card.

Fall Leaves Birthday Card

4. Trace and cut three leaves ~ one each from the light yellow, light orange, and dark orange sugar paper.

Fall Leaves Birthday Card

5. Use the embroidery scissors to turn the red corrugated cardstock into a three-opening frame

6. Glue the red frame in place over the charcoal-colored cardstock.

Fall Leaves Birthday Card

7. Glue the leaves in place ~ the dark orange leaf in the middle, the yellow one at the top and the light orange one at the bottom.

Fall Leaves Birthday Card

8. Cut a strip with a length of 8.2 inches from the tray liner.

9. Use the sponge and a small bit of the gilding paste to add a vintage look to the strip cut from the tray liner, as well as to the three leaves. Allow to dry thoroughly.

Fall Leaves Birthday Card

10. Glue the strip from the tray liner to the inside of the card.

11. Fold the 7 x 7.6 inch light yellow sugar paper in half and glue to the inside of the card to write a message.

12. Add three yellow rhinestones to each leaf.

Fall Leaves Birthday Card

By

Fall Party Favor

This is a 2 part project. I made a magnet and cookie/candy party favor. Favors in cellophane bags.

Approximate Time: varied

• glass flat-back marble(s)
  • alcohol
  • printer or acrylic paint
  • photo paper - if printing design
  • white glue
  • hot glue
  • small magnets
  • faux leaves
  • Hershey's Kisses
  • mini vanilla wafers
  • peanut butter morsels
  • peanut butter
Supplies.

Instructions:

I made 2 kinds of magnets. The first is a painted design: jack-o-lantern and the second a photo design leaf pattern.

Jack-O-Lantern

1. Clean glass marble with alcohol.
  2. Paint facial features, eyes, nose, and mouth of jack-o-lantern in black.
  3. Marble with pumpkin face drawn on.

4. When dry, paint accent lines in a dark orange.
  5. Bottle of orange acrylic paint and painted marble.

6. When that's dry, paint the entire back with 2 coats in a lighter shade of orange.
  7. When dry, use hot glue to affix leaf and magnet.
  8. Magnet attached to back of magnet with leaf.

Photo Design Leaf Pattern

1. Clean glass marble with alcohol.
  2. Print out picture or use one from a magazine or other source. I used a leaf background and added text for my event. My text was set at 7 points font for the name, Leaf Peep 2011. I used inexpensive photo paper and printed it on the back side so there wasn't too much ink. I printed out individual squares, as many as I needed or as fit on the page.
  3. Wait until the ink is dry.

4. Apply white glue, and place flat side of marble on top. Let dry overnight. If back of paper is damp, turn over and let that side dry as well.
  5. Bottle of white glue and two glass marbles. One has had printout glued on.

6. Cut excess paper off around marble.
  7. Trimming paper print to fit marble.

8. Use hot glue to affix faux leaf (optional) and then a small magnet. Hot glue gun and leaf magnet.
Completed magnets on mat.

Instructions for Cookie/Candy Favor:

I assembled the "acorns" using mini vanilla wafers. They now come in fall colors...yay!
  1. Unwrap Hershey's Kisses.
  2. Adhere to mini vanilla wafer with a small amount of peanut butter.
  3. Adhere a peanut butter morsel to the top with peanut butter. It should resemble an acorn.

I had cello bags on hand that I used for pretzel rods, and they were the perfect size to drop the cookie/candies in. I used a glue dot to stick the magnet on the package of cookie/candies. You could also just used folded up adhesive tape.

It was a very low cost project and I think it is going to be a really cute favor to hand out at my luncheon.

By Toni N. from Saylorsburg PA

Autumn Leaf Garland

An Autumn Leaf GarlandAutumn-hued folded paper leaves are linked together to create a garland.

Approximate Time: 15 minutes

• color papers
  • pencil
  • scissors
  • craft knife

Instructions:

1. Make a leaf and center leaf template from a piece of card stock.
  2. Fold 11 x 6 inch piece of paper in half crosswise. Place the leaf template on the folded edge of paper.
  3. leaf template

4. Cut out the shape with scissors.
  5. Then place the small leaf template at the center. Cut out with a craft knife. Repeat the process with the remaining pieces of paper.
  6. orange leaves

7. To link the first two leaves together, gently curl leaf vertically and insert it through the opening of the first folded leaf. Continue to link the remaining leaves together in the same way.
  8. various colored leaves in garland

By Maricel from Fairfax, VA

Fall Birthday Card

Using fall colors, and a cutout of a leaf, one can make an elegant birthday card for a friend, celebrating her birthday during the fall months. The finished Fall leaf card.

Approximate Time: 30 minutes

• the printed pattern sheet
  • 8.2 x 5.7 inch dark orange cardboard
  • 5.2 x 3.2 inch light yellow cardboard
  • left-over pieces of cardboard in three fall colors, from which you can cut 6-8 strips from each color, sized 6 x 0.4 inches
    I used dark orange, pumpkin yellow, and light brown strips. From one of these colors (I chose the pumpkin yellow), cut a strip sized 1.6 x 0.4 inches so that you will have a strip that will be wide enough to cover the stem of the leaf.
  • pair of standard scissors
  • Stanley knife (utility knife)
  • pencil
  • ruler
  • quick-drying glue
  • old gold acrylic paint
  • fine paintbrush
  • a light yellow sheet of paper
  • one matching envelope

Instructions:

1. Fold dark orange cardboard in half to create a card 4.1 x 5.7 inch ~ use the ruler to make the fold neat and smooth.
  2. Cut out the leaf from the pattern sheet.
  3. Quilt lines drawn on paper leaf for pattern.
  4. Place it on the light yellow cardboard and trace around the edges.
  5. Outline of leaf pattern on brown paper.
  6. Use the Stanley knife to slit a small opening in the leaf that you have traced onto the light yellow cardboard. Then, use the pair of scissors to cut out the rest of the leaf.
  7. Stanley knife cutting center of leaf pattern. Leaf stenciled oout of paper.
  8. Turn the light yellow cardboard around and follow the diagram to glue the strips into position across the leaf on the back of the cardboard. Four images of the leaf stencil and application of glue and first colored paper strips. Four photos of colored paper strips being placed on top of quilt patten underneath the stencil. Start with the wider yellow pumpkin strip. You alternate between the colors. First add a yellow pumpkin strip, followed by a dark orange strip, followed by a light brown strip, followed by a yellow pumpkin strip again, etc.
  9. Adding colored strips. Continuing to add the narrow strips. Finishing the adding of the narrow strips.
  10. Cut off any protruding pieces of paper strips.
  11. Clpseup of trimming paper edges.
  12. With the old gold acrylic paint and the fine paintbrush, add some detail to the edges of the cut-out and to the edges of the light yellow cardboard.
  13. Windowpane view of adding gold paint to the edges.
  14. Glue the light yellow cardboard to the front of the card, ensuring that it is an equal distance from the edges.
  15. Cut a piece from the light yellow paper that can be glued to the inside of the card, where you can write a message.
  16. By BessieBessie from Pretoria, Gauteng,

Craft Project: Fall Frame for Keeping or Giving

The cover over a wooden or cardboard frame is crocheted with ribbon and buttons.

Approximate Time: 4 hours

• 5 by 7 cardboard or wooden frame
  • crochet thread in five different colors
  • size G hook
  • plastic to cover photo if one isn't provided (I use sheet protectors.)
  • dual temp hot glue gun
  • needle that will hold two strands of thread
  • five matching buttons
  • 70 inches of ribbon: cut two 8 inch and two 6 inch pieces and save the rest for the edging

Instructions:

This is for a fall birthday present for a lady who lives in Nevada and doesn't see the fall trees anymore. It could just as easily be pastel with a baby photo, Americana with summer photo, or holiday colors with a Santa or snowman.

1. Start out with cardboard or wooden frame. This one is a 5X7 with a 2.5 by 4.75 inch insert. Determine the colors and the photo before you start, as inserting the photo before any hot gluing is done is essential.
  2. Cardboard Frame 2

3. I used four strands and a G hook. This pattern is for that size frame and if your frame is different, you will have to adjust.
  4. Once you determine colors, measure the frame part you will be starting on. Some frames are wider on the top and bottom than the sides, so this pattern wouldn't work. Your frame has to be the same on top and sides.
  5. With a "corner" color, chain 8 across and turn, making sc in each of the next 7 chains. Make 8 rows, and change to main color. Some like to break off, but you can change any way you want. Make 20 rows of the main color, then change to second corner color and make 8 more rows. This completes one side.
  6. Fall Frame step 1

7. On the side of the second corner color, fasten on with main color, and make 12 rows. Break and fasten on third corner color, making 8 rows. Fasten on main color and make 20 rows, then finish with 8 rows of your last corner color, leaving an 8" tail to sew last main color section to first corner color.
  8. Fall Frame step 2

9. You will have a lot of tails to work in, but if you prefer, just glue them under when you are ready to hot glue the work to the frame. Because I used ribbon to cover the color change seams, I used that seam underneath to glue the crocheted work to the frame. This ensures that your frame won't slip if one outer and inner seam should dry out over time.
  10. Mark the frame where the seams are, glue those and carefully lay the top onto the frame. Remember to use low temp glue as the ooze factor will burn you. To be safe, wear gloves or use something to weigh down the work, like a plastic cutting board or old glass frame. Don't use too much glue or it will stick to whatever you use.
  11. Once that is cooled, I used contrasting ribbon and covered the color change seams, so you will be able to just use a dab on the apex so the button covers any bleed through, then glue them good behind the back. You can't see this very well, but the ribbon is olive green.
  12. For the buttons, I used all matching, but a complementary color not matching any of the crochet thread. I threaded two strands of thread in, tied them in the back, snipped the excess and glued them down. You notice I mitered the angle of the button holes as if it was a frame, but you don't have to.
    They have fall buttons out now that are very cute, so go a little crazy if you can. Glue a ribbon on top, gluing a button to match (or not!) on top. I covered the edges of the frame, but you can back the edges with rickrack, lace, or eyelet.
  13. Fall Frame step 3

14. This 4 strand effect is quite bulky, so anything "foo foo" might not work. It's your choice so have fun and I hope you enjoy this project.

By Sandi from Salem, OR Fall Frame

Autumn Pins

Create some adorable pins to wear during the autumn months in less than an hour. With just a few supplies and a little stitching and gluing, you can make several to sell or give as gifts. You can also make them as magnets or to add to a wreath.

Approximate Time: 1 hr.

• felt- assorted colors
  • artificial autumn leaves
  • twine for scarecrow
  • pin backs
  • material scraps
  • small amount of stuffing or cotton balls
  • misc. trims
  • glue
  • needle and threads

Instructions:

Leaf Pin

Template for Fall Pins

1. Begin by making the base for the pin. Choose 2 leaves of different shades. Remove any plastic stem and veins by peeling them off. Overlap leaves (see diagram) and glue together.

2. Take a piece of felt slightly larger than the leaves and glue them on to this. Cut around leaves, leaving a slight border of felt showing.

3. Glue pin backs on when pin is completed.

Ghost

Ghost Pin

1. Cut 2 ghosts from white felt using pattern.

2. If choosing to use beads for eyes, sew them onto face of one piece.

3. Sew bodies together and insert a tiny amount of stuffing. Continue sewing until closed.

4. Tie ribbon or thread around neck and a small red felt heart on to tummy.

5. Sew ghost on to leaves.

6. Embellish more, if desired (see photo).

Pumpkin Pumpkin pin

1. Cut 2 pumpkin shapes from orange felt using pattern.

2. Cut facial features from black felt and sew onto one pumpkin piece.

3. Cut a piece of pipe cleaner and wrap wire tightly around one end. Fold end of pipe cleaner into loop to hold wire. Insert at top between the pumpkin pieces and stitch top closed, being sure to catch the stem and wire into your stitches to secure. Continue sewing and insert a tiny amount of stuffing.

4. Finish sewing until closed. Follow dotted lines on diagram and stitch through entire pumpkin for slight indentation.

5. Sew pumpkin on to leaves.

6. Wrap wires around a toothpick to curl.

7. Embellish more, if desired (see photo).

Scarecrow

Scarecrow Pin

1. I used a finger of a jersey glove, but you can make a small tube from material or felt. Since my glove was dark brown, I chose to make a circle from tan felt for the face. I sewed the facial features on to this circle. I inserted my finger into the glove tip and sewed the face on to it.

2. The straw is made by unraveling twine. Place hat pieces on top of head, sandwiching the top of the head in between. Sew across brim, inserting twine as you go. As you sew the rest of the hat closed, scrunch up some areas and tack them along the way.

3. Stuff the head and tie a strip of material around the neck, tucking twine under it as you go. Tack into place to hold twine. Unravel the bottom edge of the body for a more rustic look. I had some patterned material and cut some pictures from it for the sign and sunflower.

By Mary from Palm Coast, FL

Cheerful Fall Placemats

Crocheted placemats in Fall colors.These placemats will be perfect from September to November. The bright clean fall colors will go great with any natural centerpieces or you can find beautiful silk mums and fall leaves this time of year. I have a centerpiece I made that I bring out this time of year that is a silver apple bowl filled with mums and daisies and has a cute dollar store scarecrow stuck in the center. Even just a bowl of apples for a centerpiece would be nice. I hope you enjoy making these as much as I did. It is a very simple pattern that works up very quick and can be made by the beginner.

Time to complete 2 hours

Materials:

• 1 skein of Super Saver ombre yarn fall colors
  • 1 skein of Super Saver wheat colored yarn or off white
  • 1 I crochet hook

Instructions

Chain 77 First two chains count as first dc crochet, skip two chains, dc, chain, dc, skip two chains, dc chain dc repeat until end of row. Chain 3 turn.

Row 1 Dc, chain 1, dc in the center of each V across, dc in last stitch, Chain 3 and turn.

Row 2-21 Repeat row 1.

Edging: Starting at top edge slip stitch into first stitch, Chain 5, skip two chains, slip stitch, chain 5, slip stitch across, continue in pattern all round evenly spacing the chain 5 scallops along each side.

Fall Candle Holder

Approximate Time: 10 minutes with 1 hour drying time Holder with lighted candle.

• Mod Podge
  • foam brush (can buy at dollar store)
  • vase (can buy at dollar store)
  • leaf shapes or dried leaves (can buy at a dollar store)
  • clear acrylic spray
  • razor blade or Xact-o knife (can buy at a dollar store)

Instructions:

1. First off, grab a vase or large jar that can fit the leaves you have chosen. I went for a large mouthed, tall, skinny vase, but any jar would do as well. You will want to liberally coat your foam brush and coat the vase 1/2 of the way up with a thick layer of Mod Podge. I experimented with going all of the way up, but found that half way yielded the best results.
  2. Coating the exterior with Mod Podge.

3. After you have coated the jar, begin to layer your leaves in a pattern that you like. Be sure to be careful is using paper leaves as they will tear easily. Carefully smooth them down as you place them, as to limit air bubbles.
  4. Layering leaves.

5. Carefully place a layer of Mod Podge over each leaf as you place them, making sure that all surfaces of the leaves are covered.
  6. Applying a layer of Mod Podge to leaves.

7. After all of the leaves are placed and covered, allow your vase to dry. I turned mine upside down to help protect the finish.
  8. Vase inverted to dry.

9. As soon as your vase is dry, seal the leaves by spraying a clear acrylic spray all over them. Be careful to only spray the area where there are leaves. Let dry again.
  10. Next, take your razor blade or Xact-o knife and cut along the perimeter of the leaves. The Mod Podge will come off quite easily, almost like a thin layer of dried glue on skin. Carefully peel off the excess and clean up any unwanted blemished on your glass.
  11. Trimming off the excess Mod Podge. Finished holder.

12. Finally, grab a candle, light it and enjoy your masterpiece!
  13. By Teri M from Omaha, NE

Autumn Accessory

Fall colors wearable in 3 ways! Fall Flower Accessory

Approximate Time: 70 minutes or less

• sharp scissors
  • fabric (for flowers and a soft piece for the under part)
  • ribbon
  • hot glue gun with hot glue
  • needle and thread (any color)
  • optional: peacock feather and glamorous button

Instructions:

1. Assemble fabric flowers:

Layered Yellow Flower

1. Cut 3 circles of fabric, varying in size by a few millimeters. Cut out 3 to 5 layers per flower.

2. With a needle and thread, sew the circles together, starting underneath the stack, thru the largest circle. Sew the layers together up-and-down thru the layer a few times, and end on the underside of the circles.
    3. Now pinch the circles in half, and sew thru to hold the "pita" look. Repeat this process, but fold the circles in a few different ways to make a ruffle effect. End with the needle at the bottom of the flower and tie the loose thread ends together, 3 times.

Center Flower (the almost-gardenia-looking one that's bright orange with the button hot glued on later):

1. Cut 3 same-size, five-petal flowers out of fabric, and sew them together thru the middle a couple times, ending under the soon-to-be-flower.
    2. Now start pinching/bunching the layers to make ruffles and sew through the layers until it looks like a flower!
    3. You can hot glue a circle of green fabric around the bottom of the flowers to look like the green part on real flowers.

2. Cut 2 matching ovals out of soft fabric to use as the base.

3. Hot glue flowers to the soft fabric base, gluing a peacock feather underneath and/or in the flower arrangement.

4. Hot glue the other oval base part to the ribbon. On the other side of the ribbon, sandwiching the ribbon, hot glue the flower bunch atop the ribbon. (I hot glued the sparkly button on now.) Back of Fall Flower Accessory

Wear as a corsage, bracelet, choker necklace, or ribbon headband. Other uses include: a sash/belt if you use sturdy ribbon in a long length. Fall Flower Accessory 2 Sideview of Fall Flower Accessory Fall Flower Accessory 3

I made this one for my sister's bridal shower. She's getting married in October.

By Erin813 from Seffner, FL

Craft Project: Fall Candle Display

Fall candle holder made from every day items.

Approximate Time: 1 hour

• spray paint
  • fake fall foliage
  • hot glue and gun
  • candle
  • old dinner plate
  • old saucer
  • medium clay pot
  • country crock butter bowl

Instructions:

First, glue the clay pot upside down onto the dinner plate, then glue the butter bowl bottom side down on to clay pot then glue saucer onto butter bowl. Spray paint the whole thing any color you want, I chose yellow. Let dry then decorate as you like with the foliage, any way you want. Put your candle in and enjoy.

I added the spider I made from pom poms and pipe cleaners for that Halloween feel, LOL.

By Sandy from Bluff City

Tip: Autumn Apple Pail

Decorated pailFall/autumn apple pail. Decorate tin pail with paper and stickers for autumn theme, fill with apples, caramels, and Popsicle sticks and give as a gift. Caramel apples are a great way to celebrate fall.

By Diane from Leesburg, VA

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Autumn Craft Ideas.

Question: Fall Craft Ideas

Does anybody have any good crafts for Fall? Thanks.

By Eeshieking

Most Recent Answer

By melody_yesterday [213]10/01/2009

I enjoy going out into the yard with a roll of clear tape (narrow or wide) and gathering leaves that will fit the width of the tape & placing them onto the tape along whatever length I want it to be.
I have even pulled up tiny flowering plants from down in the grass & used them as well as leaves & flowers root & all.
When finished take it inside & top the first piece with another piece of clear tape to sandwich your leaves/plants/flowers in the middle!
The ones with roots look really interesting.
If you get leaves with holes that's OK - it makes "lace" !
Place your project in the window so the light will shine through it & enjoy a little outside indoors!
This will last quite awhile!

Photos

Below are photos related to this guide.

Craft: Recycled Tube Fall Faux Planter

I had some carpet tubing and tubes from crochet thread. With some hot glue, fabric strips, and silk flowers, I made a unique planter - of sorts!

I wrapped plaid fabric around horizontally and glued it about every 6 inches. Then, I chose four of the five colors in the plaid, and wrapped the tubes vertically. If I ever make this again, I will do them horizontally as well, as it uses half the fabric and time.

Once the tubes are all covered, I hot glued them off-center of each other for a staggered look. Then, I simply put some fall foliage and faux plants in for a nice planter for the porch. You can use fabric that matches a room inside the home and use any kind of flowers or plants you want.

This craft needs to be protected from the elements, so you'll need to find a safe place to display it. Perhaps a corner by the door, or on a shelf?

I had a lot of fun with this and hope it inspires you to make something similar.

By the way, the cords behind the planter are strung from the porch to the shed and have nothing to do with the planter. I just didn't have anywhere else to shoot it.

By Sandi

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Fall Craft Ideas

I would like fall craft ideas that are not for kids!

Jann from Union, OR

RE: Fall Crafts For Adults

Go outside and gather acorns. Use them in mason or ball jars to wedge candles down in for a centerpiece. (10/02/2008)

By

RE: Fall Crafts For Adults

Many things can be made from pine cones so why not start collecting them now and making wreaths, fire starters, miniature x-mas trees for decoration and of course, ornaments for your tree. Good luck. (10/03/2008)

By Lisingreece

RE: Fall Crafts For Adults

I took all my leftover fabric, cut it into 2 inch strips, sewed the ends together, plated it (as in hair) then made a nice rug. I used a large needle and strong thread to sew the plates together to lay flat on the floor or the back of the couch. They are very pretty. (11/29/2008)

By kffrmw88