Browsing: Brown Paper Bag Wallpaper Technique

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Brown Paper Bag Wallpaper Technique

To create an unusual decorating effect, try using brown paper bags in place of traditional wallpaper. This is a guide about the brown paper bag wallpaper technique.

Brown Paper Bag Wallpaper Technique
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 20, 2011 Flag

I live in an old home and many times the plastered walls have cracks in them. Here is an alternative if the cracks keep showing up soon after you paint. I "papered" my walls in brown paper and rosin paper that have been painted. View of bath mirror and sink area.

I wanted to go with a copper theme and have always wanted an elegant bathroom so I took pieces of brown craft paper and tore them into irregular pieces, saving some of the ones with a straight edge for where the ceiling and the wall meet. I then crumpled them all up very hard and then semi smoothed them out so that you could clearly see the wrinkles in them.

I used a sponge brush and brushed on copper leaf paint on some, barely touching the surface of the wrinkles and then used gold spray paint on others. Let them dry (doesn't take long at all) and then apply them with wallpaper paste. The wall should be sized first. Copper colored leaf towel holder mounts.

I already have a claw foot tub and my kids inserted a sink into a dresser that I faux painted and applied copper paint stenciling. I had rough plastered walls so the roughness of the walls added to the dimension of the treatment. My curtains are copper colored and I made a shower curtain with some copper color in it and put copper colored beading on the edges. I painted the bottom of my claw foot bathtub brown.

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA View of the corner of bath with painted brown bag wallpaper.

Hi Sandy, since the bathroom is small, I will show you the clawfoot tub and shower surround but there is not a whole lot more of the bath. You might be interested in seeing the before pic too and I will post it if I can be allowed to post more than one pic...

September 12, 2016 Flag

Can you paint over it? Will that seal it? I love the texture it gives the wall, but am not fond of the brown. I am wondering if I can paint it a color I want?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 23, 2008 Flag

The walls in my bathroom were not in super good shape when I bought my 100 year old house, they had the old bumpy type plaster. After several attempts at painting, I finally came upon a solution.

Torn paper bathroom wall.

July 19, 2007 Flag

Do I need to prime the wall first if I am using the brown paper bag technique and do I put anything on top of the bags to seal the wall or coat them like a glaze or something?

November 9, 2011 Flag

I want to do the brown bag wallpaper treatment on my wall. Can I use wrapping paper instead?

By Cindy

I think wrapping paper would be too flimsy to use for a wallpaper treatment, but you don't have to use brown paper bags either. You can buy brown craft paper in large rolls at places like Office Depot. Do a Google search for "brown craft paper" to find out where else you can buy it.

They sell brown kraft / craft paper just about everywhere, including dollar stores (although you can get a bigger roll elsewhere).

Yes you can. I did my bathroom using this method and some copper paint and gold paint. I get many compliments on it.

Sorry, I thought you meant craft paper not wrapping paper. I got mine at Walmart but I think the $1 stores have it too.

August 29, 2008 Flag

I am currently looking to brown paper bag the walls in my living room. Can you tell me if you can do this procedure over existing wallpaper?

Julie from Cameron, TX

I don't know specifically about brown paper bagging, but I do know that you can wallpaper over wallpaper, as long as it isn't vinyl or some fancy flocked stuff. I would think you could glue the brown paper right overtop of the existing wallpaper, using whatever glue you intended to use. It also might make it easier to remove this in the future if you got tired of it.

I saw them do it on tv once.But forgot all about it.It looked really cool. Here's a HOW-TO : http://www.bozzle.com/bbwBonnyeManning.html Good luck!

For anyone who is contemplating brown paper treatment over existing wallpaper, I have found it to be easier to lose the wallpaper. It does not adhere to the wallpaper.

Thanks so much for the feedback, I do appreciate your help! Project is still in process.

I used this technique in my entry. There were over 4 layers of old wallpaper. I chose to remove because they were lifting. If your wallpaper is in good shape, it should be ok. But I'd suggest sizing it first.

March 29, 2014 Flag

Do you put the paste on one side or both sides of the paper?

By Juanita T. from Junction City, AR

You would only put paste on one side, so it would stick to the wall.

March 10, 2014 Flag

We are replacing the shower, shower walls, and floor in one of our bathrooms. Looking around it is going to cost more for the shower walls than the oversized tub/shower we want, because of the odd size. I am wondering if the paper bag wallpaper is water tight enough to be used "in the shower" as the walls. I want to do the floors that way also. So, I guess what I'm asking is, can I do the floor and the walls "inside" the shower, without danger of water damage?

By Angie from Modesto, CA

No, it would not be waterproof. But, they do make a waterproof shower panel that they sell at lowes and home depot.

March 4, 2014 Flag

I covered one of my kid's room walls with brown kraft paper. Though it looks good, since it is a kid's room (boys), something looks missing. The curtains in the room are of a dark green color with gold leaves. Can someone please suggest what can be added to this wall to make it look good of a boy's room.

By R from India

Hi - it would be very helpful if you could add a couple of photos.

Load More
Home and Garden Home Improvement WallpaperOctober 10, 2012
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
Jeans purse. Making a bootie bag from jeans.
Making a Bootie Bag from Jeans
A packed lunch with a sandwich and grapes.
Brown Bag Sandwich Ideas
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 28, 2016 at 10:15:43 PM on 10.0.0.106 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.