Brown Paper Bag Wallpaper Technique

To create an unusual decorating effect, try using brown paper bags in place of traditional wallpaper. This is a guide about the brown paper bag wallpaper technique.

December 20, 2011 Flag

I live in an old home and many times the plastered walls have cracks in them. Here is an alternative if the cracks keep showing up soon after you paint. I "papered" my walls in brown paper and rosin paper that have been painted.

I wanted to go with a copper theme and have always wanted an elegant bathroom so I took pieces of brown craft paper and tore them into irregular pieces, saving some of the ones with a straight edge for where the ceiling and the wall meet. I then crumpled them all up very hard and then semi smoothed them out so that you could clearly see the wrinkles in them.

I used a sponge brush and brushed on copper leaf paint on some, barely touching the surface of the wrinkles and then used gold spray paint on others. Let them dry (doesn't take long at all) and then apply them with wallpaper paste. The wall should be sized first.

I already have a claw foot tub and my kids inserted a sink into a dresser that I faux painted and applied copper paint stenciling. I had rough plastered walls so the roughness of the walls added to the dimension of the treatment. My curtains are copper colored and I made a shower curtain with some copper color in it and put copper colored beading on the edges. I painted the bottom of my claw foot bathtub brown.

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

I love this look. We are currently redoing my youngest daughters old bedroom and I showed this to my hubby and he loves it too. Not sure if it will work for a bedroom but am willing to try. TFS

I would love to see more pictures of this bathroom. Mine needs redone, and I would love to "steal" your ideas. I love the idea of using the dresser as a vanity. The whole room is beautiful!

Hi Sandy, the bathroom is small so I only have a picture of the clawfoot tub and shower surround. Just to show you how much it improved, when I bought the house, this is how the bath looked. LOL, quite a change.

September 23, 2008 Flag

The walls in my bathroom were not in super good shape when I bought my 100 year old house, they had the old bumpy type plaster. After several attempts at painting, I finally came upon a solution.

Torn paper bathroom wall.

July 19, 2007 Flag

Do I need to prime the wall first if I am using the brown paper bag technique and do I put anything on top of the bags to seal the wall or coat them like a glaze or something?

September 12, 2016 Flag

Can you paint over it? Will that seal it? I love the texture it gives the wall, but am not fond of the brown. I am wondering if I can paint it a color I want?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 9, 2011 Flag

I want to do the brown bag wallpaper treatment on my wall. Can I use wrapping paper instead?

By Cindy

I think wrapping paper would be too flimsy to use for a wallpaper treatment, but you don't have to use brown paper bags either. You can buy brown craft paper in large rolls at places like Office Depot. Do a Google search for "brown craft paper" to find out where else you can buy it.

They sell brown kraft / craft paper just about everywhere, including dollar stores (although you can get a bigger roll elsewhere).

Yes you can. I did my bathroom using this method and some copper paint and gold paint. I get many compliments on it.

August 29, 2008 Flag

I am currently looking to brown paper bag the walls in my living room. Can you tell me if you can do this procedure over existing wallpaper?

Julie from Cameron, TX

I don't know specifically about brown paper bagging, but I do know that you can wallpaper over wallpaper, as long as it isn't vinyl or some fancy flocked stuff. I would think you could glue the brown paper right overtop of the existing wallpaper, using whatever glue you intended to use. It also might make it easier to remove this in the future if you got tired of it.

I saw them do it on tv once.But forgot all about it.It looked really cool. Here's a HOW-TO : http://www.bozzle.com/bbwBonnyeManning.html Good luck!

For anyone who is contemplating brown paper treatment over existing wallpaper, I have found it to be easier to lose the wallpaper. It does not adhere to the wallpaper.

Thanks so much for the feedback, I do appreciate your help! Project is still in process.

March 29, 2014 Flag

Do you put the paste on one side or both sides of the paper?

By Juanita T. from Junction City, AR

You would only put paste on one side, so it would stick to the wall.

March 10, 2014 Flag

We are replacing the shower, shower walls, and floor in one of our bathrooms. Looking around it is going to cost more for the shower walls than the oversized tub/shower we want, because of the odd size. I am wondering if the paper bag wallpaper is water tight enough to be used "in the shower" as the walls. I want to do the floors that way also. So, I guess what I'm asking is, can I do the floor and the walls "inside" the shower, without danger of water damage?

By Angie from Modesto, CA

No, it would not be waterproof. But, they do make a waterproof shower panel that they sell at lowes and home depot.

March 4, 2014 Flag

I covered one of my kid's room walls with brown kraft paper. Though it looks good, since it is a kid's room (boys), something looks missing. The curtains in the room are of a dark green color with gold leaves. Can someone please suggest what can be added to this wall to make it look good of a boy's room.

By R from India

Hi - it would be very helpful if you could add a couple of photos.

July 17, 2010 Flag

Can you use construction paper or even a wallpaper picked up at a thrift store for brown bag wall treatment? I can't find colored paper, only mauve and brown. I want green. What bond paper is acceptable.

Also, it was mentioned about Draw Tite. I can't find it anywhere and the address given is non existent. I do however see that others have found it. I have five cats and a parrot and need to know if the Draw Tite is odorless. Also there is another product called Gripper. Anyone familiar with that? If so is it comparable to the Draw-Tite?

I am also confused (normally lol) about the edges? Do I overlap around the corner? I know I will have a zillion more questions, but for now, please help.

By Kali from RI

You can tear pieces of brown paper or red rosin paper and spray paint them to get the color you want. First crinkle the chunks and then spray. I did my bathroom in a copper and gold and get many compliments on it. This is a portion of the wall that I did.

Hi Laniegirl,

I have been in awe of the work you did on this wall. Actually by accident I clicked on the wrong thing when I was saving it to my pics and it is now the background on my computer. lol.

LG, How did you do this wall? I mean it looks so beautiful and I am wondering how you knew where to put certain colored paper. Did you spray paint some of them? Gosh this is so exciting. I have everything I need. Only thing is that after searching for days and miles I had to settle for an equivalent of the GH 34. I hated to do it but had no choice. Are there recommendations for the way you did this?

Thanks,

kali

July 17, 2010 Flag

Makes it look like a leather or suede look. It's fantastic and if there is a spill or a piece is damaged later you can just add a piece.

Home and Garden Home Improvement WallpaperOctober 10, 2012
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
Jeans purse. Making a bootie bag from jeans.
Making a Bootie Bag from Jeans
A packed lunch with a sandwich and grapes.
Brown Bag Sandwich Ideas
🎉
🎄